Thread: Wondering about global searches

Hybrid View

Default Wondering about global searches

I have used BW 5 in the past, but am not up to date about current features.

One question I have that doesn't seem to be covered in the BW flyer concerns global searches.

Suppose that I have a search term like "Hananiah" or a verse reference like "Daniel 11:30".

Does BW 9 have a way of searching across all databases at once, to find all occurrences of these?

Or is it more a matter of searching piecemeal, for example all Bibles?

What I'd really like to do is be able to search everything, and then peruse the various hits.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by EzekielNine View Post
    I have used BW 5 in the past, but am not up to date about current features.

One question I have that doesn't seem to be covered in the BW flyer concerns global searches.

Suppose that I have a search term like "Hananiah" or a verse reference like "Daniel 11:30".

Does BW 9 have a way of searching across all databases at once, to find all occurrences of these?

Or is it more a matter of searching piecemeal, for example all Bibles?

What I'd really like to do is be able to search everything, and then peruse the various hits.

Thanks.
    I don't know how many versions back this goes, but in BW9 searching across all versions (of the same language) is a pretty easy thing to do. You can see where this is at in BW9 via this online help file.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

To add to Michael's answer, you can set up a tab in BW9 in which you make all your Bible versions (of as many languages as you want) as display versions. After you do that, if you type on the command line: dan 11:30 then all the versions will display Daniel 11:30 in the main browse window. Then you can browse through all the versions in all the languages you have chosen. You can also change the order of the versions, for example, to see your favorite versions on top and lesser-used versions farther down the list.
    Mark Eddy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    To add to Michael's answer, you can set up a tab in BW9 in which you make all your Bible versions (of as many languages as you want) as display versions. After you do that, if you type on the command line: dan 11:30 then all the versions will display Daniel 11:30 in the main browse window. Then you can browse through all the versions in all the languages you have chosen. You can also change the order of the versions, for example, to see your favorite versions on top and lesser-used versions farther down the list.
    Mark Eddy
    I'm sorry if I was not clear. Let me illustrate with an example -- the word "Gilead".

Gilead occurs in the Bible, and in the Easton dictionary. It's also a place name, and thus should show up in an atlas like the Moody one. I expect it would also be in a bunch of other places like the ISBE and various commentaries.

Is there a way in BW 9 to search across all databases (not just Bibles) for such a term? Likewise, is there a way to search for all occurrences of a Bible reference (like Daniel 11:30)?

I have the BW 9 advertising flyer, and the answer to this question is not clear to me.

Thanks.

Maybe the problem with answering your question is a confusion in terms.

If your question is, is there a simple way to search all BibleWorks resources including Bible versions (things that would occur in the Browse Window), dictionaries and lexica, and all CHM resources? Then I would have to say the answer is no.

You can search all those things, piece by piece, but not in one easy step.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Using "Gilead" as an example, the way you would do this in BW is:
    • Search for Gilead in an English Bible version. If you want, you can conduct the search across all English Bible versions using the Cross Version Search Mode. Doing so would not only include all English Bible versions, but also the English of Josephus and Philo, English of the Targums, Pseudepigrapha, Dead Sea Scrolls Bible (if you purchased the addon), etc.
    • In the Browse window with your results, right click on Gilead, and you have immediate access to: "Lookup in Default Bible Dictionary" and "Lookup in BibleWorks Maps"
      • Once in the Bible Dictionary window, you simply choose a different dictionary, and it will jump to that entry in that dictionary.

• Next click on the Resources tab. In addition to all the lexical and grammatical links, you also have links to Gilead in the Bible Geocoding module (a free user addon), Nave's Topical Bible, the Keil and Delitzsch OT Commentary, Moody Bible Atlas, Kretzmann, Thompson, Torrey...

You do, therefore, have almost all the info on Gilead just one or two clicks away...

For a case of looking up Daniel 11:30, the Resource Summary tab provides links to every specific citation of that verse in any of the lexicons or grammars as well as the topical resources, commentaries, atlases, etc.
    Last edited by MGVH; 12-06-2012 at 03:16 PM.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools