Thread: Hebrew keyboard question

Hybrid View

Default Hebrew keyboard question

For some reason I cannot find the Qamets. I am typing Bwhebb in MS Word and the Qamets should be where the English apostrophe is. However, while the other keys give me the correct Hebrew letter, the apostrophe key gives me a small left leaning mark about the Shin, not a Qamets below it. Anyone have any ideas?

Default smart quotes and qammets

Quote Originally Posted by rkastens View Post
    ...the apostrophe key gives me a small left leaning mark about the Shin, not a Qamets below it. Anyone have any ideas?
    To type several of the Hebrew characters, you need to turn of smart quotes in MS Word while typing.

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

Default That was the trick!

Thank you! Turning off the smart quotes did it.

Ron

Default Macro to toggle smart quotes

Quote Originally Posted by rkastens View Post
    Thank you! Turning off the smart quotes did it.
    Actually, when I still used MS Word, I made three macros, each attached to an available Fn key:
    1. Hebrew: This one turns off smart quotes and selects the BW Hebrew font.
    2. Greek: This one turns off smart quotes and selects the BW Greek font.
    3. Normal: This one turns on smart quotes and re-selects the Normal font.

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

At the risk of "seeming to be a proclaimer of foreign divinities" (Acts 17:18), let me suggest taking a look at a different word processor. Nota Bene is designed from the ground up for multilingual, scholarly use, including especially biblical languages. Typing vocalized Hebrew doesn't require changing any other settings, including smart quotes. You put in vowels--and cantillation marks as well--by pressing F6 and selecting from a popup; but after a few minutes the location of the vowels becomes second nature, and you're typing b F6 q to enter a beth with a qamets, for instance, too fast for the popup even to show on the screen. It has lots of other great features, including built-in bibliography and reference management. If you're interested, see http://www.notabene.com/.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Default Nota Bne

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    ...look at... Nota Bene is designed from the ground up for multilingual....
    And that's my own preference too. I've been using NB from about version 5 or so, and using it nicely alongside Bible Works. Certain tasks still force me to use MS Word, which in general reminds me of how much I dislike it. NB is a fine academic word processor, especially if you use the biblical languages, and I would hate to think of working without it.

Dale A. Brueggemann