Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Comparing vocabulary in two different passages

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    136

    Default Comparing vocabulary in two different passages

    Hello all,

    This may be a dumb question... I'm preparing a course on Revelation and I would like to make a comparison of the vocabulary in Rev 19.17-19 and Ez 39, LXX. I know I can put the search limits to those two passages in the BNM and then do a search on specific words in the Revelation pericope, but I'm wondering if there's any way of doing a search that would allow me to see the full results in a glance.

    It would be nice, for instance, if I could open a parallel window and then apply a kind of "reverse highlighting function," that shows the similarities, rather than the differences, but I don't know if that can be done.

    Any suggestions?

    Donald Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France
    Last edited by Donald Cobb; 12-01-2012 at 02:10 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,094

    Default

    If I understand you correctly, the Word List sounds like it would do exactly what you want. Are you familiar with how that works? You can load the text for Revelation in the primary and Ezekiel in the secondary word list and then you can compare them within that.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    If I understand you correctly, the Word List sounds like it would do exactly what you want. Are you familiar with how that works? You can load the text for Revelation in the primary and Ezekiel in the secondary word list and then you can compare them within that.
    Michael,

    I did think about the word list manager and gave it a try with the appropriate limits. Unfortunately, you can build a list of the common terms between the two texts, but unless there's something I'm missing, you can't then send those words back into the two texts and have them highlighted for comparison purposes, if you follow what I mean. So I'm still looking...

    Donald

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,094

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Cobb View Post
    Michael,

    I did think about the word list manager and gave it a try with the appropriate limits. Unfortunately, you can build a list of the common terms between the two texts, but unless there's something I'm missing, you can't then send those words back into the two texts and have them highlighted for comparison purposes, if you follow what I mean. So I'm still looking...

    Donald
    Donald, Once you have the Word list comparison, I was thinking that this tip would get you the rest of the way.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    Donald, Once you have the Word list comparison, I was thinking that this tip would get you the rest of the way.
    That's perfect. Thanks Michael! The tip must be based on BW8 because the functions are slightly renamed in BW9 and make it even a bit easier.

    Donald

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •