Thread: How to search two different syntactical constructions in a verse

Hybrid View

Question How to search two different syntactical constructions in a verse

I need to find out how many times two different constructions, NOT SIDE BY SIDE, in a verse appear in the Hebrew Bible.
    For example: "waw-beth-infinitive construct+any pronominal suffix" and "any verb in the imperfect". I have searched but I only get the occurrences when the two constructions are side by side. I do not how to tell BibleWorks to search the second construction "any verb in the imperfect" in any part of the verse.
    Can BibleWorks do this? Anybody knows.

Thanks,

M.

There are, I'm sure, multiple ways to do this. What pops in my head is to run a search on the first part (waw-beth-infinitive construct+any pronominal suffix) from the command line, then right click in the search results and select "Make Search Results New Search Limits." Then search those results for any verses that also have verbs in the imperfect.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

Default A suggestion

My attempt at this is:

set search version to WTM and enter

'*@v?i* *99 *@v?c+S?* ו ב

The "99" is a bit overkill (it represents the number of words allowed between the two elements, and I guess no verse is over 99 words) so you could reduce this number a little if you wish.

I start typing this with the open-single-quote first, followed by the Hebrew characters separated by a space, and then move on to entering the Roman characters/symbols.

I hope this is what you're after.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Laurence View Post
    My attempt at this is:

set search version to WTM and enter

'*@v?i* *99 *@v?c+S?* ו ב

I hope this is what you're after.
    This would pick up the imperfect only if it follows the infinitive in the verse (because it starts with ' ). If you want to find cases where the order of the imperfect and the invinitive do not matter, you can use the attached query for the Graphic Search Engine. Put it in your BibleWorks ase folder and open it from the Graphic Search Engine. Or (I think) you can just click on it here, and BW will open it.
    w+b+infc+imp.qf
    Mark Eddy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    This would pick up the imperfect only if it follows the infinitive in the verse (because it starts with ' )...
    Mark Eddy
    True, but you could simply reverse the order of the elements in my search to get the rest. It means searching twice, but it's simple.

Smile It worked :)

I what to thank all for your help. I tried both Nick's and Mark's formulas and I got what I was looking for.

Thanks again,

M.