Thread: BW9 installation strategy when combined with prior versions

Hybrid View

Default BW9 installation strategy when combined with prior versions

Soon I will have time to install the full BW9 I purchased. I also have full version BW8 and 5. Since each is standalone, and I'm still trying to get used to the different interface in BW8/9, I want to install all three of them on one computer. However, what I learned from BW8 installation is that I should install BW5 AFTER 8, so they can co-exist side-by side. (Else, the 8's installation wipes out 5's fonts, even when installed to a different directory).

For a different reason, though, I want to first install BW8, apply all its unlock codes, and THEN install Bw9 over 8, even though each is a standalone version (no upgrades). The strategy here is, to avail myself of the many BW8 modules I purchased, and then put the BW9 interface on top of them.

Ergo this query: is this the best way? Or can I just install BW9 solo, then apply all the BW8 unlock codes? Or did the codes change? If the BW8 codes don't 'port' over to BW9, that's okay; then I'll have three versions on one computer, rather than merely two.

Sorry to trouble you with these questions.

If it matters, I'd be installing to XP Pro 32-bit, on a 64-bit hardware architecture, 4 GB RAMM, Intel Xeon quad-core. But I'll want to later repeat the same process, on my VISTA and Win7 Pro machines. I'm the only user (I live alone, no chance of any other user).

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME!
    'brainouty' on Youtube and , http://www.vimeo.com/brainout

Quote Originally Posted by brainout View Post

Ergo this query: is this the best way? Or can I just install BW9 solo, then apply all the BW8 unlock codes? Or did the codes change? If the BW8 codes don't 'port' over to BW9, that's okay; then I'll have three versions on one computer, rather than merely two.
    The best way would be to just install BW9. Having three versions on one computer makes little sense to me. How many are you going to use at once? It has been stated here that upgraders to BW9 get new codes to unlock modules they purchased under prior versions. This is assuming you upgraded, and assuming the modules are still available etc. You would have to call or email tech support to discover whether you qualify for such a transfer.
    Older versions of BW could coexist because they used configuration files. Newer versions beginning around 6 got more complicated and use the registry and overwrite these files in an undocumented manner. Version 8 and higher also have a new stumbling block in them called "activation". Trying to mix different (older) versions may be possible if you are a computer expert. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by brainout View Post

If it matters, I'd be installing to XP Pro 32-bit, on a 64-bit hardware architecture, 4 GB RAMM, Intel Xeon quad-core. But I'll want to later repeat the same process, on my VISTA and Win7 Pro machines. I'm the only user (I live alone, no chance of any other user).
    I wouldnt bother if I were you. The best way to do what you are wanting to do is install BW9 on the Win7 machine. Keep the older version on your older XP machine. If you think you must have the older version on the newer machine, use a free virtual machine such as VMware Player to run an XP virtual machine. This way the older version cannot cause problems with the new one, and you will not have to deal with the 64-bit compatibility issues.

Also keep in mind that the Activation on BW9 will prevent you from installing on more than a couple computers. Beyond that, you will have to make phone calls asking permission to install it again ... so it is best to only install it on a machine you plan on keeping in use for a while.

If you are starting fresh on a new computer, I would install BW8 first and activate all your unlock codes. You can then uninstall it using the BW9 installation CDs (which BW recommends), or leave BW8 on the computer. Then I would install BW9. But, if you can prove to BW technical support that you own BW8 (and your unlock codes), they can send you an e-mail with all the appropriate unlock codes for BW9, so you would not have to install BW8 first on a new computer.
    I had BW8 and BW9 both installed on the same computer during beta testing (to keep BW9 a secret, I used BW8 in public). Whenever I would launch BW8 after having used BW9 there are a few files which the program asked permission to change back. I clicked OK, and it installed the BW8 files. Then when I went back to using BW9, it would ask to change the files to the BW9 files. Again, I would click OK, and the BW9 files were installed. If you can live with this speed bump, there is no real problem having BW8 and BW9 on the same machine. I still do have BW8 installed. But I haven't used it in over a year. There really is no reason to keep BW8, if you upgrade to BW9. In the installation procedure for BW9 there is a step which allows you to bring many of your modules in BW8 into BW9, if the base package of BW9 does not have them. This includes a procedure for getting your unlocked modules again, and keeping some older modules for which new users do not get the rights. BW9 can even bring over some of your settings. Uninstalling BW8 via the installation CDs will leave all the files in your BW8 directory which are not identical to the files on the CD. So a user databases or files you changed to set up BW8 the way you like it will still be in the BW8 directory, in case you want to migrate them into BW9 later.
    It is really a lot easier to upgade to BW9 from BW8 than it was to upgrade to any of the earlier versions, because earlier versions did not include this "migrate" feature.
    There is a limit to the number of times which you are allowed to install any version of BW. After that number is reached and registered, BW home office assumes your copy is being illegally shared/copied/stolen, and it will not allow it to be unlocked. But if you really are the owner, and you really have had to install it so many times on your own computer, BW support staff can allow additional installations.
    The only reason I could see to leave BW5 on your computer is that you want to be the go-to guy in this forum for people who are still using BW5 and have questions.
    Mark Eddy
    Last edited by Mark Eddy; 11-19-2012 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    If you are starting fresh on a new computer, I would install BW8 first and activate all your unlock codes. You can then uninstall it using the BW9 installation CDs (which BW recommends), or leave BW8 on the computer. Then I would install BW9. But, if you can prove to BW technical support that you own BW8 (and your unlock codes), they can send you an e-mail with all the appropriate unlock codes for BW9, so you would not have to install BW8 first on a new computer.
    I had BW8 and BW9 both installed on the same computer during beta testing (to keep BW9 a secret, I used BW8 in public). Whenever I would launch BW8 after having used BW9 there are a few files which the program asked permission to change back. I clicked OK, and it installed the BW8 files. Then when I went back to using BW9, it would ask to change the files to the BW9 files. Again, I would click OK, and the BW9 files were installed. If you can live with this speed bump, there is no real problem having BW8 and BW9 on the same machine. I still do have BW8 installed. But I haven't used it in over a year. There really is no reason to keep BW8, if you upgrade to BW9. In the installation procedure for BW9 there is a step which allows you to bring many of your modules in BW8 into BW9, if the base package of BW9 does not have them. This includes a procedure for getting your unlocked modules again, and keeping some older modules for which new users do not get the rights. BW9 can even bring over some of your settings. Uninstalling BW8 via the installation CDs will leave all the files in your BW8 directory which are not identical to the files on the CD. So a user databases or files you changed to set up BW8 the way you like it will still be in the BW8 directory, in case you want to migrate them into BW9 later.
    It is really a lot easier to upgade to BW9 from BW8 than it was to upgrade to any of the earlier versions, because earlier versions did not include this "migrate" feature.
    There is a limit to the number of times which you are allowed to install any version of BW. After that number is reached and registered, BW home office assumes your copy is being illegally shared/copied/stolen, and it will not allow it to be unlocked. But if you really are the owner, and you really have had to install it so many times on your own computer, BW support staff can allow additional installations.
    The only reason I could see to leave BW5 on your computer is that you want to be the go-to guy in this forum for people who are still using BW5 and have questions.
    Mark Eddy
    Mark, I have the full version of each BW8 and BW9. NOT upgrades. Further, I checked with Bibleworks support staff extensively over a year about what I could install, before even buying version 8, which again is NOT an upgrade from 5, but fully standalone. The license is per user, not per machine. So to put both of them on ONE machine couldn't possibly violate any licensing, since I'm the only user of ALL the machines I have, since I live alone. I only want duplication, in case one machine is busy or has a Windows glitch and fails. I'd rather not view BW on more than one machine at a time.

I need to keep using 5, as that's the easiest version for me to navigate. I've been doing it so long, I don't even have to THINK about the interface. So it's not about wanting to be a go-to for anyone. It's about learning the material as easily as possible.

Thank you for the really helpful hints about the back-and-forth problem between 9 and 8. Since both are standalone and I'm the only user, then I should deploy 9 alone; since most of my machines are XP and not Win7, the 'permissions' problem will not occur, so I could probably install 9 and 5 on an XP machine, but not on Win7. My Vista machine will probably have the same problem. So it looks like I should install 9 solo on one netbook, the Vista and the Win7. They are each paired with an XP machine, on which are already, 8 and 5. Buddy system: when one of a pair goes down or is too busy, I go to the next pair to continue working. So thank you for your help!
    Last edited by brainout; 11-19-2012 at 11:54 PM.

Hi, johns! Thank you for replying!

You wrote: "The best way would be to just install BW9. Having three versions on one computer makes little sense to me. How many are you going to use at once? It has been stated here that upgraders to BW9 get new codes to unlock modules they purchased under prior versions. This is assuming you upgraded, and assuming the modules are still available etc. You would have to call or email tech support to discover whether you qualify for such a transfer."

As I said in my post, each of the BW versions are full standalone, not upgrades. I know I can use the unlock codes, but I wonder what's the best procedure for doing it. Right now, it looks like installing 8 then installing 9 atop 8 would be easiest. Depends on what 9, wipes out. You made a really good point (below) about how post-6 versions change the registry and wipe out the prior version, so that suggests I must use two computers, one with 5 and 8, and the other with 9 only. So I would have to set up my machines so I can view both monitors at once.

I wouldn't be using all three at once, but having the three versions on computer avails me of the differing features. I navigate 5, best; it has HALOT and BDAG, no other modules. So when I find something 5 can't answer, then I close it and look in 8. And my package of 8 has almost all of the modules sold, including another HALOT and BDAG. I bought 9 as standalone, with no added modules. So you see, they integrate. I'm just trying to figure out how to deploy them. I could use three different computers, but I want to use only one at a time. Hope this clarifies things.

You also wrote: "Older versions of BW could coexist because they used configuration files. Newer versions beginning around 6 got more complicated and use the registry and overwrite these files in an undocumented manner. Version 8 and higher also have a new stumbling block in them called "activation". Trying to mix different (older) versions may be possible if you are a computer expert. Good luck and let us know how it goes."

I installed 8 and 5 on this computer, and on another. Again, the license is per user, and I'm the only one. I happen to have many computers because some are always going wacko due to some Windows glitch, so I need redundancy. (I own a business and need as many fall-back-position computers as possible.) BW helped me to do that, but the installation needed to be 8 first, then 5. They thought I could just install 8 to a different directory, but like you said it changed the registry, and wiped out the fonts. So I simply reinstalled 5 after 8 was done. Works well.

You also wrote: "I wouldnt bother if I were you. The best way to do what you are wanting to do is install BW9 on the Win7 machine. Keep the older version on your older XP machine. If you think you must have the older version on the newer machine, use a free virtual machine such as VMware Player to run an XP virtual machine. This way the older version cannot cause problems with the new one, and you will not have to deal with the 64-bit compatibility issues."

Since it's 32-bit Win7 Pro, I don't have to worry about compatibility issues, nor VMware. You're right that in a 64-bit OS situation, it could be an issue. As it happens, the Win7 and this machine face each other, because I use the Media Center plugged into my TV. So I could install ONLY version 9 on the Win7 machine, and view 5 and 8, on this one. Thank you for that idea! So now it's a question of whether I can install all three on my netbook, for travel. But I just bought a second one, so maybe I should put 9 only on the second one. The first, already has 8 and 5 on it. Both are XP.

Finally, you wrote: "Also keep in mind that the Activation on BW9 will prevent you from installing on more than a couple computers. Beyond that, you will have to make phone calls asking permission to install it again ... so it is best to only install it on a machine you plan on keeping in use for a while."

No, actually the license allows you to install on as many computers as you wish. I verified that in advance. The limitation is per USER, not per computer. I live alone, don't have visitors except when the telephone or faucet needs fixing, etc. So my BW versions are installed on four computers, but I only use one of them at a time; when that one fails, or is tied up with a download, etc., then I go to the next one, unless it also fails or is tied up; and so on. Redundancy. Plus, they are installed on my netbook, for when I travel.

Hope this answer clarifies things. Thank you for your time!
    Last edited by brainout; 11-19-2012 at 11:29 PM. Reason: typo corrections, cogency editing