Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BW 9 vs Logos 5

Hybrid View

Default BW 9 vs Logos 5

I am thinking of upgrading my Bible software and would welcome advice.

My interests are the NT (NA 27) and I am interested in Paul, especially the Authentic and the Pastoral Letters. I am also interested in the Church Fathers, especially the Apostolic Fathers, and am currently studying the Didache.

As well as academic interests I am also interested in the Bible for spiritual/religious reasons. I like to read a chapter daily and pick out one verse that inspires me and look up the use of words and grammar.

In fact I usually use Logos and have purchased many extra resources, but now Logos 8 is being discontinued.

I have several problems about using BW to the full, but these are for another time.

Should I do nothing? Upgrade BW 8 only? Upgrade Logos 4 only? Upgrade both?

I have looked at the thread "BW 9 vs Logos 4", started by rpbrecht on 08-29-2012, and "BW vs Logos vs Accordance Interface", started by Lee on 05-03-2010.

Can I get a code to reduce the cost of upgrading BW 8?

I use a Dell PC with Microsoft Windows 7.

I have:
    BibleWorks 8 (8.0.020e.2 , Standard Edition). Cost to upgrade to BW 9 $159.

Logos 4.6a SR-2 (4.61.0.3360 Original Language JG). Cost to upgrade to Scholar's Library, Bronze, $267.
    Noel Fitzpatrick
    Dublin
    Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Fitzpatrick View Post
    I am thinking of upgrading my Bible software and would welcome advice.My interests are the NT (NA 27) and I am interested in Paul, especially the Authentic and the Pastoral Letters. I am also interested in the Church Fathers, especially the Apostolic Fathers, and am currently studying the Didache.... I like to read a chapter daily and pick out one verse that inspires me and look up the use of words and grammar.
    Hello Mr. Fitzpatrick, if your interest are in Original language study and NT text criticism you might want to consider upgrading to BibleWorks 9. (FYI I have and use BibleWorks9, Logos5, and Accordance(on the Emulator), too. And I plan on updating all them as they mature and grow) Here in short are some reason I think you might want to consider BibleWorks9:

(1) CNTTS NT Critical Apparatus
    Quickly compare variant readings
    For the first time, the New Testament Critical Apparatus from the Center for New Testament Textual Studies is available for PCs. This exhaustive apparatus covers the entire New Testament. The BibleWorks version has been enhanced to show a matrix of Aland categories and time period for the mss for each reading. Users will especially appreciate having the apparatus track and update as the mouse moves over the text in the BibleWorks main window. In addition, the start of each verse entry summarizes the significant, insignificant, and singular variants. When examining a variant, the text of the verse is shown with the variant text highlighted. No unlock required!

(2) BibleWorks Manuscript Project
    Compare and analyze original manuscript text and images
    This massive project has been years in the making. BibleWorks 9 includes the first installment of this ongoing work. The BibleWorks Manuscript Project's initial release covers the following:

• Sinaiticus
    • Vaticanus
    • Alexandrinus
    • Bezae
    • Washingtonianus
    • Boernerianus
    • GA1141

For these manuscripts, the BibleWorks Manuscript Project includes the following:

• New full NT transcriptions
    • Complete NT digital image sets (over 7.5 GB!!)
    • Verse location tagging in images
    • Extensive transcription notes
    • MSS comparison tool
    • Morphological tagging (not complete for all manuscripts but updates will be provided free of charge to BibleWorks 9 users as they become available)

Manuscripts are fully searchable and integrated with the full array of BibleWorks analysis tools. As you change verses in BibleWorks, the MS image display tracks with the current verse. Compare, inspect, and analyze the text and images of key original manuscripts. Tweak and enhance the manuscript images using the sophisticated image processing panel now included in BibleWorks.

3. A multitude of Greek texts all included in the base-package and all highly proof read and continuously checked for accuracy.

• Aletti/Gieniusz/Bushell Morphologically Analyzed Greek New Testament
    • Aletti/Gieniusz/Bushell/CATSS Morphologically Analyzed Septuagint
    • Alford Greek New Testament (1849, as revised in 1871) †
    • Apostolic Fathers English translation
    • Apostolic Fathers (Greek with Morphological tags by Gieniusz/Bushell)
    • Apostolic Fathers Latin
    • BibleWorks Manuscript Project: transcriptions, notes, and complete NT digital image sets (7.5 GB!) of Sinaiticus, Vaticanus, Alexandrinus, Bezae, Washingtonianus, Boernerianus and GA1141. Images are tagged with verse locations. Morphological tagging is not complete for all manuscripts but updates will be provided free of charge to BibleWorks 9 users as they become available.
    • Brenton’s Septuagint English Translation, including Deuterocanonical section
    • GREEK AND ENGLISH: Complete Works of Flavius Josephus, parsed and lemmatized, with the 1828 Whiston English translation and Latin sections, and Loeb Classical Edition versification
    • Friberg’s 1999 Morphologically Analyzed Greek New Testament
    • Greek Text of the Greek Orthodox Church, updated
    • Nestle-Aland 27th Edition/UBS Fourth Edition Greek New Testament
    • OT Pseudepigrapha in Greek, morphologically tagged, with English translation
    • Rahlfs’ Septuagint, with Apocrypha & variants
    • Revised 1904 Patriarchal Orthodox Greek Text using the Byzantine Gothic Text of 350 AD Greek Text of the Greek Orthodox Church (updated)
    • Revised 1904 Patriarchal Orthodox Greek Text, English translation(added after release for free)
    • Robinson-Pierpont Byzantine text with Robinson 2010 morphology
    • Robinson-Pierpont Greek New Testament with Friberg morphology
    • Scriveners Greek New Testament (new proofing) with diacritics, variant readings, and 2010 Robinson morphology
    • Stephanus Greek New Testament (Textus Receptus), with morphological analysis
    • Tischendorf Greek New Testament, with Critical Apparatus
    • Tregelles Greek NT, corrected
    • Tregelles Greek NT, uncorrected
    • Trinitarian Bible Society Greek New Testament (new proofing) with 2010 Robinson morphology;
    • Von Soden Greek New Testament
    • Westcott-Hort Greek New Testament (new proofing) with diacritics, variant readings, and 2010 Robinson morphology
    • Works of Philo (Greek Text & Morphology with English translation)
    • Greek (modern)
      • Greek Orthodox Church NT
      • Metaglottisis Greek New Testament, 2004
      • Modern Greek Bible

4. The GRAPHIC SEARCH ENGINE

5. Hours of how to videos included!

I have several problems about using BW to the full, but these are for another time.
    I am curious about those issues.
    Last edited by bkMitchell; 11-18-2012 at 06:05 PM.
    Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/

Default Nine Reasons to Upgrade

Check out this video:
    Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/

I just posted this in another thread, but it seems to be apropos here (especially since the link includes a review of Logos 5). Here I have made a comparative review of Logos, Accordance, and BibleWorks.

For what you're looking for, if PC is your platform (and cost an issue), BibleWorks sounds like the way to go.

Default Other considerations

You might want to read what I wrote in June 2011 when comparing BW8 to BW9 HERE. If you are interested in early church texts, BW is certainly your cheapest option.
    I also made some observations about choosing between Accordance, BibleWorks, and Logos HERE.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Thanks for these links, Mark! I have often looked to your blog and forum posts in the past for good information (yay, verily, even unto inspiration!), so will be glad to check these out.

Should I do nothing? Upgrade BW 8 only? Upgrade Logos 4 only? Upgrade both?
    I vote for "do nothing".

If you have BW8 and Logos 4, given your list of interests and use for the software, you will not gain a thing by upgrading either.

If you have money to spare, go for it anyway.

... but now Logos 8 is being discontinued.
    Is it really? I think not.

Many thanks to all who replied to me. I sent essentially the same message to both Logos and BW fora, and (surprise, surprise) in the BW forum an upgrade to BW was suggested mainly, and in the Logos one a Logos update was preferred.

I think I will upgrade BW now, and wait a while before upgrading Logos. I hope to get the free software to run Logos 5 , which is expected to be released soon.

I mostly use Logos and buy the resources I want beyond my Original languages package, so there are no new resources I really need now.
    Noel Fitzpatrick
    Dublin
    Ireland

Many thanks to all who replied to me. I sent essentially the same message to both Logos and BW fora, and (surprise, surprise) in the BW forum an upgrade to BW was suggested mainly, and in the Logos one a Logos update was preferred.
    I'm glad the forums work the way they are supposed to

I don't really like engaging in the partisanship of whose Bible software is better. As a consumer, I think competition is to our best advantage, but it seems like there are fewer players than there used to be.

One thing that seems to be an interesting trend to me is that people are spending a ton of money on software, which is assumed to be the better investment over books. I'm partial to the position BibleWorks has taken on this matter, yet I'm still amazed (or alarmed?) to see how much people on the Logos forums say they have spent on that program. I'd like to think that I'm a scholar, but I can't even find it in me to justify spending more than a thousand dollars on this stuff. Though I know for some it's their "hobby" and people do find ways to spend a lot of time and money on their hobbies.

BibleWorks seems to have the only position among the other software companies that profit is not their number one motivation. They are a small company. To some, that's a huge disadvantage. They do weird things like close their office on Sundays. To some that's either an inconvenience or a really stupid business decision. But that's just the thing, they tend not to make a lot of "business decisions." They really do see their work as serving those who want to study God's Word and they've made a business not of making a business, but of serving that audience. When I keep that in mind, I don't always get bothered by not having all of the latest books and versions right this second because I'm reminded that all things being equal this is a company I feel good about supporting. It may be an odd criterion, but I've been around long enough to see that the people here have the kind of business values that I'd want to have myself.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Just to add to Michael's observations...
    I just got back from the Society of Biblical Literature meeting in Chicago. Another really weird thing that BW does is not have their booth open on Sunday like every other exhibitor. The meeting is really only Sat-Sun-Mon, and I'm guessing it's pretty expensive to buy exhibition space, but good for the BW folks for keeping their commitments!
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools