Thread: Waiting for My Order

Hybrid View

Default Waiting for My Order

I have ordered BW9 and the Mac license. While I am waiting, I am interested in real time experiences with the "native" version concerning performance and usability, especially in light of using parallels or fusion. Costs are not a factor here. I have read all the posts here but nothing is current.

Frank Jones, Pastor
    faithmemorialbaptist.org

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    I have ordered BW9 and the Mac license. While I am waiting, I am interested in real time experiences with the "native" version concerning performance and usability, especially in light of using parallels or fusion. Costs are not a factor here. I have read all the posts here but nothing is current.

Frank Jones, Pastor
    faithmemorialbaptist.org
    If performance is your only concern (and costs are not a factor), running BibleWorks on Windows via a virtual machine like Parallels or even just going the BootCamp route will give you the absolute best performance. The native version currently is for those who do not wish to spend money on virtualization (either a Windows license or some other program) or just do not wish to have Windows running on their Macs (some people are purists). Because it's a preview version, it's hard to say how much more improvement will be seen when it is in a normal release. I think it runs fast, but it will take longer to initially load than BibleWorks normally does. But once it loads, I've found it to be responsive. The native version is slightly slower, but for most tasks BibleWorks is incredibly fast so you don't notice much of a drag in performance even if it's not as fast as the Windows counterpart.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

I have used BW since 3.5 on a PC and ran BW8 using Parallels with Windows XP. Recently I began having problems with Parallels and decided since BW and WordSearch were the only programs I used with Parallels to try out their "Mac" products using Crossover.

First let me say that I was not using BW8 as much because I did not want to always open Parallels and wait for Windows to boot. By having it on my Mac in crossover, I use it much more. However, there are still some issues listed here: http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/sho...Public-Preview

Overall the program runs well, visually it is not as attractive and there are a few issues using the verse tab and the combined use/statistics tab. As advertised for 95% of what I want to do it works well and I am using the program much more since it is easier to get to.

The set up was easy once you have your BMAC authorization code which may come via e mail later in the day.

I suggest reading through the known issues so you are aware of them. If there is anything specific you want to know about, let me know. Overall I am pleased using BW Mac Preview, with the expectation that the remaining issues will be addressed in time.

If you want the total BW9 experience I think running under Parallels or VMWare is required.

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfidel View Post
    I have used BW since 3.5 on a PC and ran BW8 using Parallels with Windows XP. Recently I began having problems with Parallels and decided since BW and WordSearch were the only programs I used with Parallels to try out their "Mac" products using Crossover.

First let me say that I was not using BW8 as much because I did not want to always open Parallels and wait for Windows to boot. By having it on my Mac in crossover, I use it much more. However, there are still some issues listed here: http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/sho...Public-Preview

Overall the program runs well, visually it is not as attractive and there are a few issues using the verse tab and the combined use/statistics tab. As advertised for 95% of what I want to do it works well and I am using the program much more since it is easier to get to.

The set up was easy once you have your BMAC authorization code which may come via e mail later in the day.

I suggest reading through the known issues so you are aware of them. If there is anything specific you want to know about, let me know. Overall I am pleased using BW Mac Preview, with the expectation that the remaining issues will be addressed in time.

If you want the total BW9 experience I think running under Parallels or VMWare is required.
    I think Parallels is the way I will go. I have the BMAC license so I can try it also.

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    If performance is your only concern (and costs are not a factor), running BibleWorks on Windows via a virtual machine like Parallels or even just going the BootCamp route will give you the absolute best performance. The native version currently is for those who do not wish to spend money on virtualization (either a Windows license or some other program) or just do not wish to have Windows running on their Macs (some people are purists). Because it's a preview version, it's hard to say how much more improvement will be seen when it is in a normal release. I think it runs fast, but it will take longer to initially load than BibleWorks normally does. But once it loads, I've found it to be responsive. The native version is slightly slower, but for most tasks BibleWorks is incredibly fast so you don't notice much of a drag in performance even if it's not as fast as the Windows counterpart.
    Michael, that confirms what I have read. I have not had parallels on my Mac but I think it would be worth the expense to do so in order to run BW. A little background, I used BW from version 3 through version 8. I then moved to the Mac and invested in a native Mac apps. I certainly would like to see BW invest in a truly Mac version but understand the costs (direct and indirect) of doing such a labor.

In any case, I think I will go with a Parallel/Window situation. It gives me all the functionality. Perhaps one day we will see a truly Mac app from BW.

Default Shift Key in Parallels

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    Michael, I decided to move over to Parallels. The shift key does not seem to work. Is that a setting in Parallels or a known issue?

Frank

[Edited] I found in the forum that hitting the <option> key once (do not hold down) freezes the analysis pane so you can read it.
    Last edited by fljones3; 11-22-2012 at 06:45 PM.

Michael, I decided to move over to Parallels. The shift key does not seem to work. Is that a setting in Parallels or a known issue?

Frank

[Edited] I found in the forum that hitting the <option> key once (do not hold down) freezes the analysis pane so you can read it.
    I am not Michael, but it is a known issue and the work around, I think is to press the alt/option key one time to freeze and again to unfreeze. There is a work around, but it is a bit different than just holding the shift key down. You may want to search the forum if the alt key does not work for you.

Default Pleasantly Surprised!

I have ordered BW9 and the Mac license. ...
    I got my order yesterday and tried the MAC license first.

I was pleasantly surprised about the compatibility. I have not had any major issues. I run a Macbook Pro with SSD so the speed is fantastic. I don't think it being "faster" running under a VM or bootcamp will be of benefit. At this point, I will save $150 and just run the Mac license. Hopefully they will continue to improve it going forward.

Of course, I would prefer a truly native Mac app. However, until then, it feels wonderful to back using BW. Thanks to the development team for their efforts!

Frank

I got my order yesterday and tried the MAC license first.

I was pleasantly surprised about the compatibility. I have not had any major issues. I run a Macbook Pro with SSD so the speed is fantastic. I don't think it being "faster" running under a VM or bootcamp will be of benefit. At this point, I will save $150 and just run the Mac license. Hopefully they will continue to improve it going forward.

Of course, I would prefer a truly native Mac app. However, until then, it feels wonderful to back using BW. Thanks to the development team for their efforts!

Frank
    I am glad you are up and running. I am finding the Mac Preview a pleasant experience... now for that SSD.

Default Ssd

Quote Originally Posted by jfidel View Post
    I am glad you are up and running. I am finding the Mac Preview a pleasant experience... now for that SSD.
    Once you have one, no going back
    Last edited by fljones3; 11-16-2012 at 09:06 AM.