Thread: Printing Hebrew Issues

Hybrid View

Default Printing Hebrew Issues

All,

Until now, I have primarily been using BibleWorks 8 on my Windows XP machine with Microsoft Word 2003. I have never experienced any printing problems or issues with printing Hebrew. Now I am using BibleWorks 9 on my Windows 7 machine with Microsoft Word 2010 and am having Hebrew printing issues. Alien characters are appearing interspersed with and among the Hebrew characters. They appear as rounded shapes that are "perforated." Has anyone else experienced this issue and is there anything I can do to remedy this? (By the way, I am using the same printer in each case [HP Officejet Pro L7780].) Grateful for any help.

Irving

Since I got no takers on this post, which I wrote back in the beginning of November, I finally decided tonight to Google "Problems printing Hebrew in Microsoft Word." Wouldn't you know it, this thread came up first in the list of Google hits. Oh well, back to the drawing board!

I couldn't guarantee it, but it sure sounds like a printer driver problem. I ended up donating a scanner to Goodwill after I upgraded to Windows 7 because it no longer worked and the company had no incentive to make new drivers when all they really wanted was to sell me a new scanner.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    I couldn't guarantee it, but it sure sounds like a printer driver problem. I ended up donating a scanner to Goodwill after I upgraded to Windows 7 because it no longer worked and the company had no incentive to make new drivers when all they really wanted was to sell me a new scanner.
    Thanks, Michael. I saw your reply only after posting my third message. For reasons I outlined above, I don't believe it is a printer driver problem. I got the current HP Printer Driver specific to my printer and operating system (Win 7) directly from the HP website. And I have no other printing issues or problems other than Hebrew. Moreover, the Hebrew prints fine if I save my Word document as a pdf first. All of that would seem to indicate to me that the problem is not with the driver. In addition, the BW Knowledgebase article acknowledges that some have experienced this problem. I just don't know. I am stumped on this one. And printing Hebrew is something that I do and need to do every week. So there is no small amount of frustration here. As mentioned above, I could uninstall and reinstall my print driver. But owing to the production that would be, I'd rather not do that unless I was convinced that a corrupted printer driver was truly the culprit here. But I honestly don't think that's the case, since I have no other printing problems whatsoever.

Well I found this article at the BibleWorks Knowledgebase site (http://kb.bibleworksllc.com/kmp/inde...from-Word.html). So, apparently, this is a known issue for some users. I followed the suggested steps in the knowledgebase article and found that:

1. I have the most current driver for my printer.

2. I have the latest version of the SBL Hebrew font.

What I have not tried thus far was the suggestion to change the Hebrew Export font to Ezra SIL SR. But I'm just curious to know if this change has helped anybody else. (My Hebrew displays perfectly in Word, but it prints with dotted circles in the midst of the Hebrew words.)

The only other option I am considering - and this was not suggested in the knowledgebase article - is uninstalling and reinstalling my printer/printer driver (although I'd prefer not to do that if I don't have to). My gut feeling is that this is not a printer driver problem. I have no other printing issues. My problem seems to be confined to printing Hebrew in MS Word alone. Moreover, if I save my Word document as a pdf, then the Hebrew prints fine. Saving my Word file as a pdf is a workaround but one that I'd prefer not to have to resort to. I would like to be able to print Microsoft Word documents with Hebrew in them without any issues, like I used to do before I upgraded to Microsoft Office 2010. If anyone has had these problems and has found the solution, I would be very grateful for the help.

Then it sounds like your experience with it far exceeds my own :-) I haven't had any problems like this, so I don't have much to offer. But the problem in display vs. printing is what makes me think that there is some print driver issue. I don't know enough to know if that would explain why some programs print correctly while others don't though.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    Then it sounds like your experience with it far exceeds my own :-) I haven't had any problems like this, so I don't have much to offer. But the problem in display vs. printing is what makes me think that there is some print driver issue. I don't know enough to know if that would explain why some programs print correctly while others don't though.
    I guess I could probably do some experimentation. For example, I could try printing Hebrew in Corel WordPerfect and see how that works. But I really don't like WordPerfect as much as MS Word. So that would not ultimately be a solution for me. But it would rule out a driver problem if there were no Hebrew printing issues in WordPerfect. Were that the case, it would strike me that the problem is with MS Word.

I guess I was just wondering if any of the other users who had reported experiencing this same issue have found solutions subsequent to the publication of the BW Knowledgebase article (9-26-12).