Thread: Command line for periphrastic construction

Default Command line for periphrastic construction

Greetings! What command line shall I input if I want to search the following periphrastic construction by BW9?

[imperfect eimi] + [present participle] within 1 verse in the Gospel of Mark

Thanks!

cchan

If I understand you correctly . . .

l[lower case "L"] mar
    .ειμι@vii* *@vpp*

. . . should get you what you want. You'll have to cull them to see which are actually periphrastics. If you only want the imperfect ειμι immediately followed by the present participle, change the period before ειμι to an apostrophe.

If you click on "Tools" (below the command line) and "Command Line Examples," you should be able to find how to do almost any kind of command line search you want to do.
    Last edited by Lee; 11-03-2012 at 12:10 AM.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

Default Thank you! But I have problems in inputting the alphabets...

Dear Lee, Thanks very much for your help.
    However, when I try to input the command line, I cannot input the Greek and the English alphabets properly.
    Maybe there is a bug with my computer...
    cchan

Cchan, are you putting the period or apostrophe first? What search version are you using? Regardless of your answers, I have no idea why you would be having any difficulty entering the English alphabet in the command line.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

Default An apostrophe should be input first...

Dear Lee,

I find that I should input an apostrophe first.

If I input a period first and then eimi and then "@", the "@" will become "]" and prevent me from inputting the rest of the command line.
    One more question, how can I limit the search within 15 words (because there is also a periphrastic construction in Mk 5:11)?

Thanks again for your help.

cchan

Default I finally got it...

Dear Lee,

I finally got it...
    '*@vii* *10 *@vpp*

cchan

You need to be sure that your search version is one of the Greek morphology versions (BGM, BNT, GNT, BYZ, STM, SCM, WHM, or TIM), otherwise you will not see the mix of Greek and English characters on the command line.
    Mark Eddy