Thread: Suggestions for learning German?

Default Suggestions for learning German?

Anyone have any luck teaching themselves German? Particularly with theological vocabulary?

Quote Originally Posted by tomc
    Anyone have any luck teaching themselves German? Particularly with theological vocabulary?
    Try the following two for starters:

Manton, J.D. Theological German: A Beginner's Course for Theological Students. London: IVP, 1971.

Coles, Waltraud and Bill Dodd. Reading German: A Course Book and Reference Grammar. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997.

Hope they help!

David Kummerow.

Default Learning German

I don't think this is an advertisement. I have a blog, but I'm not selling anything. I started Theological German mainly to help my own German, and it is helping me. I can't say I started from scratch--I had one semester 20 years ago, and have tried to do some reading over the years, but working through real theological texts on a regular basis, and making vocabulary lists, is a help.

I have made a vocabulary list of nouns from the past six months of posts. I hope to keep updating the list--and to include the verbs! (This is on a page called references.)

I agree that Helmut Zeifle's book is good. It has a good cross section of selections from the Bible and from theologians from Luther to Barth.
    Last edited by Flintcowboy; 04-23-2008 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flintcowboy View Post
    I don't think this is an advertisement. I have a blog, but I'm not selling anything. I started Theological German mainly to help my own German, and it is helping me. I can't say I started from scratch--I had one semester 20 years ago, and have tried to do some reading over the years, but working through real theological texts on a regular basis, and making vocabulary lists, is a help.

I have made a vocabulary list of nouns from the past six months of posts. I hope to keep updating the list--and to include the verbs! (This is on a page called references.)

I agree that Helmut Zeifle's book is good. It has a good cross section of selections from the Bible and from theologians from Luther to Barth.
    Even if it is an advertisement, it's a good one. I enjoy reading your blog. I don't translate as much of the German as I should, but it helped get me back to brushing up and enabled me to pass my German language exam for my PhD program. So keep up the good work!
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

These can help too:

Quote Originally Posted by ingosorke View Post
    These can help too:
    The gold Bug reminds me somewhat of Goldfinger, but moreso of my own red Bug that I had in high school. My best friend had a black one.

You'd think that a Corvette or a souped up Mustang or something along those lines would have been appropriate for high schoolers who wished to avoid an encouter with the cops for alleged mischief.

Not so in San Jose, California, where we went to high school.

You see, when my best friend and I allegedly got into mischief that attracted the undivided attention of the local cops, and sometimes the CHP (California Highway Patrol), such as racing our cars on dangerous winding roads, and such like, well, me in my red VW, and my best friend in his black VW, we gunned our little machines into the winding roads of the hill country, whereupon we very rapidly came into vineyard territory.

The vineyards were comprised of groves of trees and very steep hills. My red VW and my friend's black VW skipped up those vineyards and through the trees like mountaingoats. The cop cruisers knew better than to even try. Not only would their cars not be able to negotiate the hills and soft soil, but they were also too big to fit through the trees, and the vineyards were massive with innumerable exit points.

Of course, such a thing only happened a few times, allegedly, I might add, but never once did they get close enough to get our license plates. And red can be just as hard to see in the dark as black is.

What a car!

Quote Originally Posted by ingosorke View Post
    These can help too:

LOL! 5678910