Thread: BibleWorks on Windows 8 Tablet

Default BibleWorks on Windows 8 Tablet

I am seriously pondering the purchase of a Windows 8 Tablet. I'm looking at February or March as a possible purchase date. (By that time, I expect, they will have had time to deal with the initial bugs and bug reports.) But I had a couple of questions:

1. Is there/will there be a special module of BibleWorks that is designed especially for Windows 8 Tablets?

2. I'm guessing that, just like the earlier Netbooks and the current iPad and Android Tablets, Windows 8 Tablets will not come with optical drives (CD/DVD Rom). Will there be the capability to download the BibleWorks application (as well as additionally purchased modules) from the BibleWorks website?

3. I'm hoping, assuming, and believing that if someone has a license to BibleWorks 9, they will not have to purchase an additional copy for use on a Windows 8 Tablet. Am I correct in my assumption?

Grateful for any helpful info.

Irving

Someone else may have better answers, but this is what I understand the situation to be so far...

Quote Originally Posted by ISalzman View Post
    I am seriously pondering the purchase of a Windows 8 Tablet. I'm looking at February or March as a possible purchase date. (By that time, I expect, they will have had time to deal with the initial bugs and bug reports.) But I had a couple of questions:

1. Is there/will there be a special module of BibleWorks that is designed especially for Windows 8 Tablets?
    No, BUT you will need to be running the actual Win8 and not the Win RT that many of the tablets will be using.

2. I'm guessing that, just like the earlier Netbooks and the current iPad and Android Tablets, Windows 8 Tablets will not come with optical drives (CD/DVD Rom). Will there be the capability to download the BibleWorks application (as well as additionally purchased modules) from the BibleWorks website?
    No, BW has indicated that it is simply too much to have 3 DVDs worth of data being transferred. I think there are three options:
    • You should be able to connect an external DVD drive
    • Copy the contents of a DVD to a USB drive and install from there.
    • What I have done is share the DVD drive on my home network and access it on the mobile device. Worked fine to install BW on a netbook w/out any drive.

3. I'm hoping, assuming, and believing that if someone has a license to BibleWorks 9, they will not have to purchase an additional copy for use on a Windows 8 Tablet. Am I correct in my assumption?
    BW explicitly allows you to have BW installed on two devices with the assumption that you will not be using both at the same time.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Thanks, Mark.

It would still be nice if BW might rethink the possibility of offering the program and add-on modules for download. While I realize that it would require increased server capacity, the tablets look like they are/will be the future of computing.

Or offer an option (perhaps an extra-cost option) to receive the program on a USB drive rather than DVDs.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia