Thread: Questions about licenses with crossover

Default Questions about licenses with crossover

I had BW6,7,8, but skipped 9 because I switched to Mac. Now that it works pretty well on a Mac, I'm really interested in coming back. I have a couple of questions...

1) Since BW9 has been out a while, I would assume that BW10 is coming soon. I know that BW doesn't set release dates, but I also know they have fairly regular release cycles. Based on that, does anyone have a guess at when BW10 might be released?

2) Does a CrossOver license come with BW if you are running it on Mac or will I need to purchase that separately?

Thanks very much!
    -- Richard

"Contend earnestly for the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints." Jude 3 (ESV)

Quote Originally Posted by richardsugg View Post
    I had BW6,7,8, but skipped 9 because I switched to Mac. Now that it works pretty well on a Mac, I'm really interested in coming back. I have a couple of questions...

1) Since BW9 has been out a while, I would assume that BW10 is coming soon. I know that BW doesn't set release dates, but I also know they have fairly regular release cycles. Based on that, does anyone have a guess at when BW10 might be released?
    I don't know that I would say that BW10 is coming out "soon." BW9 came out last year (July 11, 2011). BW releases have in the past been around 2 years apart. Somewhere I am sure you can find the dates of other releases somewhere else on the Forums [BW8 came out in January of 2009, BW7 came out Feb. 2006]. In other words, although I can't guarantee it, I would be shocked if there was a BW10 before this time next year at the earliest. And I'm not sure you'll hear otherwise from the BW staff. Just like with the other programs, they will not generally talk about releases until they're in the final phases before shipping the product because they rely completely on sales of their software and the quickest way to kill sales is to tell people that the next version is coming out. So, I have no divine source of knowledge, but based on my long-term BW experience, I would say if you want to use BW10 on a Mac, you've probably got at least a year's wait.

Quote Originally Posted by richardsugg View Post
    2) Does a CrossOver license come with BW if you are running it on Mac or will I need to purchase that separately?

Thanks very much!
    I may not understand your question completely, but (assuming you have a BW9 license) if you buy the $6 license to use BW9 on a Mac natively, you do not need to purchase anything else. The installer contains any other files that may be necessary for it all to work. When you want to use BW9, you just run the normal BW9 program and it does its magic.
    Last edited by Michael Hanel; 10-21-2012 at 06:04 PM.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!