Thread: How often the LXX translates and MT word a certain way

Default How often the LXX translates an MT word a certain way

Hi, everyone,

Is there a way (other than a manually going through search results of a Hebrew lemma) to see how often the LXX uses a given word to render a Hebrew word in the MT?

I know Muraoka's two-way index has something like this, but I'd be curious to know precisely how often, for example, the LXX uses καρδία to render לֵבָב. (as opposed to using other words) I also know there are other issues at hand, like what text the LXX translator had in front of them, theologically motivated translation, etc., but I'm asking just about the text as it stands (in BibleWorks).

I'm assuming with the BGT, WTT, and Tov MT-LXX Parallel, something like this is easy and right under my nose... right?
    Last edited by AbramKJ; 10-20-2012 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AbramKJ View Post
    Hi, everyone,

Is there a way (other than a manually going through search results of a Hebrew lemma) to see how often the LXX uses a given word to render a Hebrew word in the MT?

I know Muraoka's two-way index has something like this, but I'd be curious to know precisely how often, for example, the LXX uses καρδία to render לֵבָב. (as opposed to using other words) I also know there are other issues at hand, like what text the LXX translator had in front of them, theologically motivated translation, etc., but I'm asking just about the text as it stands (in BibleWorks).

I'm assuming with the BGT, WTT, and Tov MT-LXX Parallel, something like this is easy and right under my nose... right?
    I don't know if the results are accurate, but if you open Tov-Polak, I would think that going to Search | Find Hebrew - LXX Equivalents is more or less what you're asking for.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Ah, of course! It was right under my nose.

I've been using BW9 in Mac lately, and the Tov-Polak module has been acting up, unfortunately.