Thread: OT Peshitta

Hybrid View

Default OT Peshitta

Dear Friends and BW-Staff,

are there plans to develop a module of the OT Syriac Peshitta for a forthcoming BW edition ? I'd be *very* interested.
    Yours
    Peter
    www.streitenberger.com

Second that!
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Default OT Syriac

Me too please.
    SkipB

"Ambitious to be well-pleasing unto him"
    RJ Blackburn
    Reformed Episcopal Seminary

http://www.reseminary.edu

Dear Friends,
    thank you for suporting this request ! What I also could use is a transliteration of the Syriac text: kəṯāḇā dīlīḏūṯeh dəyešūᶜ məšīḥā bəreh dəḏawīḏ bəreh da(ᵓ)ḇrāhām .
    My problem is to know which vocals are to be supplied. Then a good lexicon would be helpful as well.
    By the way: could you recommend a good in depth grammar ?
    Thanks
    Peter, Germany

Regarding Syriac grammars, one popular introductory grammar that is currently available is Takamitsu Muraoka, Classical Syriac (Harrassowitz, 1997). A more advanced grammar, still very useful today, is Carl Brockelmann, Syrische Grammatik (the copy I have is reprinted Verlag Enzyklopaedie, 1976; but there may be a more recent reprinting). Both of these grammars include chrestomathies, selected texts from Syriac literature. The most detailed grammar is the old but still serviceable Theodor Nöldeke, Kurzgefasste syrische Grammatik (my copy is reprinted Wissenschaftliche Buchgesellschaft, 1977; but again, there may be a more recent reprint).

There have been grammatical studies using more contemporary linguistics, but I don't think there is yet an advanced grammar on these principles.

As for lexica, again there are several levels. The simplest is J. Payne Smith, ed., A Compendious Syriac Dictionary (Oxford, 1903, but still in print). This is Syriac-English, considered a "student's" lexicon, but its coverage is remarkably broad. Jesse Payne Smith was the daughter of Robert Payne Smith, who wrote the comprehensive 19th-century Thesaurus Syriacus, a Syriac-Latin lexicon in two massive volumes that is still the ultimate standard.

Both Gorgias Press and Wipf & Stock have reprinted both the Thesaurus and the Compendious, as well as J. Crichton's English translation of Nöldeke, titled Compendious Syriac Grammar. Wipf and Stock has far cheaper prices, but Gorgias has a very large line of books on Syriac, both old and new. Gorgias also has a tremendously convenient PDF of J. Payne Smith's Compendious Syriac Dictionary here. It is searchable and bookmarked, and obviously very portable. And of course there may well be reprints in Germany that I don't know about.

One last lexicon: Brockelmann's Lexicon Syriacum, a kind of intermediate Syriac-Latin lexicon between the smaller J. Payne Smith and the immense R. Payne Smith has recently been updated in English by Michael Sokoloff, A Syriac Lexicon (Gorgias, 2009). This is the most up to date, a pleasure to use, but occasionally at an advanced level one must still consult R. Payne Smith.

Well, maybe more than you wanted to know, but I hope it's helpful!

Shelāmā,
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Thank you, David ! That's very kind and helpful.....I try to get some of the proposed works....
    Yours
    Peter, Germany