Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: Downloading Installer

  1. #21
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    26

    Default copyright

    Quote Originally Posted by bobvenem View Post
    Andrew,

    Michael stated the situation correctly. I have several versions in BW format but their copyright status is indeterminable, so to share them is problematic. Sorry.

    Bob
    So the fact they are before 1900 does not prove public domain, so if it does not come from BW official updates or cds do not use it, it might be illegal.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andrew short View Post
    So the fact they are before 1900 does not prove public domain, so if it does not come from BW official updates or cds do not use it, it might be illegal.
    We live in a confusing world. The fact of the matter is that people claim copyright to the production of electronic editions too. So a work can be produced before 1900 in book form, but if Logos (for instance) pays to digitize it into an electronic text, you cannot simply export that text and put it on the internet to download freely. That's illegal. You may not agree with that, but that's where the law is currently. Files on the unofficial BibleWorks blog are (to the best of our knowledge) free of such concerns. This was the problem with Robin Song's files and is the same problem with the New World Translation (though that also fails to meet public domain pre-1923).
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

  3. #23
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    26

    Default bibles

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    We live in a confusing world. The fact of the matter is that people claim copyright to the production of electronic editions too. So a work can be produced before 1900 in book form, but if Logos (for instance) pays to digitize it into an electronic text, you cannot simply export that text and put it on the internet to download freely. That's illegal. You may not agree with that, but that's where the law is currently. Files on the unofficial BibleWorks blog are (to the best of our knowledge) free of such concerns. This was the problem with Robin Song's files and is the same problem with the New World Translation (though that also fails to meet public domain pre-1923).
    If anyone finds a legal download for Wycliffe please let me know? I discovered that the Mac installer works with r2 cds but BW customer support weren't able to cancel my order for r3 cds. Is r3 better for the mac anyway?

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    158

    Default

    Wycliffe is precisely a case in point. His translation is available online at http://wesley.nnu.edu/sermons-essays...s-translation/, but I have not been able to get permission from them to convert it into a redistributable BW version. I had mistakenly assumed since it was freely downloadable for personal use that it could be redistributed in another format, but this is not the case.

    That being said, you could download it and convert it for your own use with no repercussions, as far as I know.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    26

    Default eycliffe

    Quote Originally Posted by bobvenem View Post
    Wycliffe is precisely a case in point. His translation is available online at http://wesley.nnu.edu/sermons-essays...s-translation/, but I have not been able to get permission from them to convert it into a redistributable BW version. I had mistakenly assumed since it was freely downloadable for personal use that it could be redistributed in another format, but this is not the case.

    That being said, you could download it and convert it for your own use with no repercussions, as far as I know.
    so you asked you they said no?
    how would I download and convert? for the mac version what endings is put on the bible file?

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    26

    Default Wesley

    Quote Originally Posted by andrew short View Post
    so you asked you they said no?
    how would I download and convert? for the mac version what endings is put on the bible file?
    can I email them and ask?

  7. #27
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    26

    Default Wycliffe

    Quote Originally Posted by andrew short View Post
    can I email them and ask?
    what about the Wycliffe here http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/?page_id=138

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    158

    Default

    Andrew,

    I have no idea what you would do to convert it to Mac. You don't have to ask to download for personal use; they would not give permission for free use to redistribute. The link you have listed should not be active. I'll contact Michael to have it removed from their site.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    26

    Default downloading

    Quote Originally Posted by bobvenem View Post
    Andrew,

    I have no idea what you would do to convert it to Mac. You don't have to ask to download for personal use; they would not give permission for free use to redistribute. The link you have listed should not be active. I'll contact Michael to have it removed from their site.
    how do I download and convert for BW, at least how do you do it?

  10. #30
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    26

    Default copyright

    Quote Originally Posted by andrew short View Post
    how do I download and convert for BW, at least how do you do it?
    I got an email today from the US Copyright department www.copyright.gov confirming that copying an out of copyright work to a new format does not make that new format copyrighted unless it is changed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •