Thread: BibleWorks9 on Windows8?

Hybrid View

Default BibleWorks9 on Windows8?

Hey, guys take a look at the updated: http://www.bibleworks.com/content/full.html page.
    Scan, through the page carefully making notice of all the screen shots. Those screenshots are obviously of BibleWorks running on Windows8! What, is more is the Hebrew font looks different on Windows8, at least in the related verses tool. BibleWorks looks good in Windows8! Windows 8 GUI seems to a minimalist feel to it that utilizes squares and rectangles without any rounded corners and I think BibleWorks blends in that them fairly, well.

What do you think?
    Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/

Hmm, I'm not sure whether you are right or not (that those pics are running in Windows 8). In any case, I think there are threads here of people who used the consumer preview version of Windows 8 already, so it's not really a surprise that it works on it. But as for the fonts looking different, you should know that the related verse tool is not showing BWHebb font, but the SBL Hebrew one, at least I see no difference between what is shown there and what is currently in BW9 on Windows 7. Or maybe you meant something else?

Based on everything I've heard so far, unless you're reaping the benefit of using Windows 8 on a tablet, I think Windows 8 will generally be well received, but there probably won't be enough of a reason for users of Windows 7 to bump up to it. I could be wrong, but it seems like it's an incremental upgrade and the one after this will probably be the better one. All I know is that it will likely be the talk of town in the near future now that iOS6-gate is nearly through.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default Windows 8 and BW

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    Hmm, I'm not sure whether you are right or not (that those pics are running in Windows 8). In any case, I think there are threads here of people who used the consumer preview version of Windows 8 already, so it's not really a surprise that it works on it. But as for the fonts looking different, you should know that the related verse tool is not showing BWHebb font, but the SBL Hebrew one, at least I see no difference between what is shown there and what is currently in BW9 on Windows 7. Or maybe you meant something else?

Based on everything I've heard so far, unless you're reaping the benefit of using Windows 8 on a tablet, I think Windows 8 will generally be well received, but there probably won't be enough of a reason for users of Windows 7 to bump up to it. I could be wrong, but it seems like it's an incremental upgrade and the one after this will probably be the better one. All I know is that it will likely be the talk of town in the near future now that iOS6-gate is nearly through.
    Mike,
    That is what I thought at first. I have never been much of a Microsoft fan. But I must admit that I really, really like Windows 8. There are free tools that make it trivial to get rid of the startup Metro screen and pit the Start button back. After that is done I love it. The interface is much cleaner. The gaudiness of Windows 7 is gone. There are a lot fewer services installed automatically. And there are nice refinements in a number of places for the desktop. In my view it is worth the upgrade. Windows RT is another story. It is a nightmare that I never intend to have. I will never buy all my apps from an Apple-like app store. It is fine for phones, but not for a real OS. Windows 8 on an intel pad, however, is way cool. My gut feeling is that Win RT will flop but we will be left with an improved desktop experience and a fantastic pad experience that blows the iPad out of the water.

And then of course BW looks much cleaner under Win 8, in my opinion anyway.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    And then of course BW looks much cleaner under Win 8, in my opinion anyway.
    So was Brian right that the pics on the site are using Win8?
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    So was Brian right that the pics on the site are using Win8?
    Yup! We've been running Win 8 in house for quite a while now. I like it, too. Not crazy about the Metro screen instead of the Start menu, but I haven't replaced it either.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by MTan View Post
    Yup! We've been running Win 8 in house for quite a while now. I like it, too. Not crazy about the Metro screen instead of the Start menu, but I haven't replaced it either.

Michael
    Interesting. Well at least I didn't make any bets! And good eyes, Brian!
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!