Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Running the BW9 Mac Public Preview

Default Using Crosstie on Linux

Quote Originally Posted by aay View Post
    I'm thrilled to hear that BW will be supporting BW on Mac using Crossover/WINE. This is not because I'm a Mac user, but a Linux user who has been running BW under WINE for years It's always worked, and worked pretty well, but a number of features have been unavailable using WINE. I'm really hoping that since BW will be developed for Mac using Crossover/WINE that this will have some implications for running BW under Linux using Crossover. I would think that if you're going to put the work into getting BW running well under Crossover for Mac, that this would mean most (or all) of these benefits would manifest themselves for those trying to run BW under Linux. I realize that you will probably not release an official Linux version using Crossover, but I think it would be really great if better Linux compatibility showed up as a side effect of tweaking BW to run on Mac via Crossover/WINE. Can anyone confirm?
    My curiosity about running BW on Linux continues to grow especially since I found out about the Crosstie installer for BW under codeweavers.

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibi.../?app_id=10025

I don't have experience using the crosstie system, but I'm assuming a crosstie will work under Linux as it would on Mac. Any thoughts? Now that the native BW version for Mac is being developed using Crossover Office, will the separate Crosstie installer be maintained? Please say yes, because this would most likely give Linux users the Mac benefits. I haven't yet upgrade to BW 9, and since the crosstie is for BW9 I can't test any of this out, but I'm hoping.

Unfortunately, there is a cost (about $25 for the set). If you are daring and don't mind getting your hands dirty, you can make rev. 1 and 2 DVDs work, but don't recommend it unless you are comfortable with the following steps:

1. Download and run the installer from the Mac page.
    2. Install BW9 from your BW9 DVDs. You will get a SmartHeap error at the end, and the program will not run.
    3. After the installation from DVD is done, open Finder.
    4. Hold Option and select Go | Library.
    5. Go to Library | Application Support | BibleWorks |Bottles | Bibleworks | drive_c | Program Files | BibleWorks 9
    6. Download http://edist.bibleworksllc.com/macsetup/bw900.zip
    7. Paste the contents of the zip file into that folder. You must overwrite the existing files.
    8. You should now be able to run.

Hope that helps!
    Michael
    Using these instructions I was able to install BibleWorks 9 on a Mac at home using a pre-Rev3 DVD set, but when it gave errors at the end of the installation, I did think that the installation would not work. Although I consider myself pretty computer-savvy, I'm no Mac expert, so it did take a bit of trial and error. If you're not comfortable playing around like this, it does seem like buying the new DVD version isn't a bad idea.

The performance for a preview version was pretty impressive though. I didn't drive it through all the possible steps, but I liked what I did do with it. So far the only negative to me was that some of the fonts don't appear very elegant on the Mac. This is a pre-retina display Mac (if that makes any difference), but I found the BWGRKL font much more thin than it is on Windows and italic font in the Verse tab (in the Tischendorf module) was rather jagged too. I'm not sure if this is just my computer though or common to all native Mac installations.

But like I said, for a preview version, this is in my opinion remarkably good.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Will BW9 Mac PPV Run in the Future all
    New Features and Databases of Windows Version !?, and how About add Modules can be add too!???

Default ESV Study Bible on BW9 Mac Public Preview

Does anyone know whether the ESV Study Notes work on BW9 Mac Public Preview? I loaded the program yesterday including my purchased codes for the ESV Study Notes but they did not appear in the Resources window or anywhere else in BW. Please advise.

Default ESV Study Bible on BW9 Mac Public Preview

Quote Originally Posted by BarryN View Post
    Does anyone know whether the ESV Study Notes work on BW9 Mac Public Preview? I loaded the program yesterday including my purchased codes for the ESV Study Notes but they did not appear in the Resources window or anywhere else in BW. Please advise.

FYI, in case you run into the same issue that I had with activating ESV Study Bible and other applications in BW9 in Mac Public Preview. As usual Edward from customer service gave this excellent response to my question:

With BibleWorks running, click “File” on the menu bar, then click “Activate Database” on the drop-down menu. A large window titled the “Activation Manager” will open. BibleWorks should certainly be in the list, but verify that ESVS is in the list as well. If it is, look in the right-hand column to determine its status. If it shows as “Not activated” then take measures to activate that resource [click on the tab that says activate all via internet]. Even if BibleWorks itself is running in “Trial Mode”, modules do not have a trial mode, and will not show as available resources until they have been successfully activated.

Thanks again BW and Edward for your excellent service!
    Last edited by BarryN; 10-12-2012 at 09:26 PM.

Default Font size in Early Church Fathers

Is there a way to adjust the font size in the Early Church Fathers?

Thumbs up Applause!!

Most companies release software when it's 95% ready.
    You have a great product. Keep up the good work.

I'm thrilled to finally use BW on my Mac in a native fashion. (I was previously using it in a VM).

Thanks!!

David Smithey

Quote Originally Posted by BarryN View Post
    ESV Study Bible works in Mac Public Preview. It appears in Analysis Window under "Verse" Tab, as well as an independent window by selecting Resources -> Commentaries -> ESV Study Bible.

However, the font is so small in the Analysis Window as well as in the independent window, the notes turn out to be a strain to read. I adjusted Options -> Fonts for Search, Browse, and Analysis Windows, as well as CHM font size to X-Large; all to no avail on the ESV Study Notes. If anyone knows how to increase its font size, please let me know.

Michael Hanel noticed that:
    on the Mac Preview page (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/sho...Public-Preview) this is listed as one of the known bugs: COM/JS issue? Tools | Options | Fonts | CHM font size, esnt.chm should query program and set font size accordingly. I'm not sure if that's related, but it sounds like they know about font issues in at least one CHM, but it sounds like they also know it's a more general problem.

Certainly hope this can be resolved soon.

John

John,

It would involve a re-build of the ESV chm file. It's not a Mac issue. Let me look into it and report back.

Michael

Here are my first impressions of the Bibleworks 9 Mac preview:
    http://duncanf.blogspot.co.uk/2012/1...rks-9-mac.html

Excited about the initial work, hoping there will be more progress on this soon.
    D
    Duncan Forbes
    New Life Church, Roehampton, London
    www.newlifelondon.com
    www.duncanf.blogspot.com