Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Running the BW9 Mac Public Preview

Default Help With Zip File

Quote Originally Posted by dribex View Post
    Unfortunately, there is a cost (about $25 for the set). If you are daring and don't mind getting your hands dirty, you can make rev. 1 and 2 DVDs work, but don't recommend it unless you are comfortable with the following steps:

1. Download and run the installer from the Mac page.
    2. Install BW9 from your BW9 DVDs. You will get a SmartHeap error at the end, and the program will not run.
    3. After the installation from DVD is done, open Finder.
    4. Hold Option and select Go | Library.
    5. Go to Library | Application Support | BibleWorks |Bottles | Bibleworks | drive_c | Program Files | BibleWorks 9
    6. Download http://edist.bibleworksllc.com/macsetup/bw900.zip
    7. Paste the contents of the zip file into that folder. You must overwrite the existing files.
    8. You should now be able to run.

Hope that helps!
    Michael
    I tried relentlessly to download the zip file but cannot get it to open in iZip, Stuffit or any other program. It constantly saves as an .exe file

Thanks in advance,
    Elijah

Quote Originally Posted by kpurcell View Post
    What about those who don't own an optical drive.
    Ouch! Let me research that and get back to you. We've investigated making the product (Windows and Mac) an electronic download but BW9 is so big it takes 3 DVDs (~15GB). It's really painful to download something that big, especially wirelessly!

Quote Originally Posted by ccozier View Post
    For those of us already using BW9 and Crossover....is there a way to upgrade our installation to the new preview rather than doing a fresh install? Don't mind the new install...but I've got a nicely personalized copy and don't quite remember all the tweaks that went into it.

Thanks....what a great October surprise!
    Ummm, here's what I would suggest. Go to your existing CrossOver install and copy the program files\bibleworks 9\bw90.ini file. Then, install with the Mac Public Preview installer. Once it is up and running, go to

Library | Application Support | BibleWorks |Bottles | Bibleworks | drive_c | Program Files | BibleWorks 9

and copy your ini to that folder.

Hope that works for you!

Quote Originally Posted by esvalley View Post
    I tried relentlessly to download the zip file but cannot get it to open in iZip, Stuffit or any other program. It constantly saves as an .exe file
    Elijah, if you copy the .exe file over the existing one in the BibleWorks 9 folder, does it work?

I also don't have a disc drive, but installed just fine on my Macbook Air using the remote disc feature from my iMac.
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by kpurcell View Post
    What about those who don't own an optical drive...Any other ways for us to install other than buying an optical drive?
    Thanks to Ben for this tip. After pondering the idea of setting up a USB drive with the DVD files and label name, it seems a better solution would be the Remote Disc feature that Apple supplies:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5287

It only requires that you have another computer (Mac or PC) with a DVD drive on your network.

Hope that helps!
    Michael

Default do i have to have BW9?

hi there,

do i have to have BW 9 to install and run BW9 Mac Pub Preview? I bought a BW8 Windows few months before BW9 was released, and did not feel like springing for upgrade... am I stuck now? or can I preview the new version as well?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vitalip View Post
    do i have to have BW 9 to install and run BW9 Mac Pub Preview?
    Hi Vitalip,

The Mac Public Preview does require BibleWorks 9.

Michael

Okay, the BW9 Mac Public Preview is available again! Please see updated instructions here:
    http://www.bibleworks.com/content/mac.html

You may need to hit refresh/F5 in your browser if it is still showing the old page.

Michael

Default Implications for Crossover on Linux?

I'm thrilled to hear that BW will be supporting BW on Mac using Crossover/WINE. This is not because I'm a Mac user, but a Linux user who has been running BW under WINE for years It's always worked, and worked pretty well, but a number of features have been unavailable using WINE. I'm really hoping that since BW will be developed for Mac using Crossover/WINE that this will have some implications for running BW under Linux using Crossover. I would think that if you're going to put the work into getting BW running well under Crossover for Mac, that this would mean most (or all) of these benefits would manifest themselves for those trying to run BW under Linux. I realize that you will probably not release an official Linux version using Crossover, but I think it would be really great if better Linux compatibility showed up as a side effect of tweaking BW to run on Mac via Crossover/WINE. Can anyone confirm?