Thread: MS Word doesn't print Unicode copied from BW

Default MS Word doesn't print Unicode copied from BW

When I send unicode text from either the Search or Browse windows into Microsoft Word, it causes the Word document to not print. Rather it prints an error message. This is odd since the text looks perfectly fine when viewed in MS word and I have the unicode fonts installed on the computer.

When I disable unicode export in the BW options menu, and then copy to MS word, the document prints fine. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Which versions of Word and BibleWorks are you using? Can you give an example of specific texts and fonts?
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

I am running BW 9.0 and Word 2007. A sample text is:

Φίλιππος καὶ Βαρθολομαῖος, Θωμᾶς καὶ Μαθθαῖος ὁ τελώνης, Ἰάκωβος ὁ τοῦ Ἁλφαίου καὶ Θαδδαῖος,

I think that I have narrowed the problem to a font problem based on the following troubleshooting data:

1)
    If I print the Greek text from Word in SBL Greek, the error message, “PCL XL error” plus some other stuff is printed on a blank piece of paper.
    2)If I select all the Greek text and change it to a different font, say Calibri, it will print fine but as WYSIWYG.
    3)If I select all the text and change it back to SBL Greek, the error message will come back.
    4)If I uninstall SBL Greek from the Font folder, and print without changing anything (MS word still says it is the SBL Greek font, but the visual appearance has changed), it will print WYSIWYG.
    5)If a reinstall SBL Greek, and print without changing anything (MS word still says it is the SBL Greek font, the visual appearance will change back to SBL Greek), and the error message will return.

Thanks for any help!

Phil

Default Printing Problem

Quote Originally Posted by pfreeberg View Post
    I am running BW 9.0 and Word 2007. A sample text is:

Φίλιππος καὶ Βαρθολομαῖος, Θωμᾶς καὶ Μαθθαῖος ὁ τελώνης, Ἰάκωβος ὁ τοῦ Ἁλφαίου καὶ Θαδδαῖος,

I think that I have narrowed the problem to a font problem based on the following troubleshooting data:

1)
    If I print the Greek text from Word in SBL Greek, the error message, “PCL XL error” plus some other stuff is printed on a blank piece of paper.
    2)If I select all the Greek text and change it to a different font, say Calibri, it will print fine but as WYSIWYG.
    3)If I select all the text and change it back to SBL Greek, the error message will come back.
    4)If I uninstall SBL Greek from the Font folder, and print without changing anything (MS word still says it is the SBL Greek font, but the visual appearance has changed), it will print WYSIWYG.
    5)If a reinstall SBL Greek, and print without changing anything (MS word still says it is the SBL Greek font, the visual appearance will change back to SBL Greek), and the error message will return.

Thanks for any help!

Phil
    I would try to find a more recent printer driver and see if that helps. Video drivers can also affect printing. You could also try changing to another Greek Unicode font, like SIL. Arial Unicode also supports Unicode Greek.

Mike

Yes, I have ascertained that my canon copier/printer's driver is either obsolete or corrupt, so my work around has been to save the MS word as PDF and then print the PDF. This is a "good enough" solution until I get a newer copier.

Thanks.

Phil