Thread: Exporting X-refs with Text

Default Exporting X-refs with Text

Is this possible in BW9? And if so, please explain how to do it in simple steps-by-steps.

I would like to export all of the cross-references (plus accompanying texts) of a certain Bible version, say ESV, for a certain section of the Bible, say Mat 6-10, without having to copy or export the cross-references each verse one by one, a tedious procedure, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by basilides View Post
    Is this possible in BW9? And if so, please explain how to do it in simple steps-by-steps.

I would like to export all of the cross-references (plus accompanying texts) of a certain Bible version, say ESV, for a certain section of the Bible, say Mat 6-10, without having to copy or export the cross-references each verse one by one, a tedious procedure, indeed.
    Depending on exactly what it is you're asking, I believe the answer would be no. Unless what you want is to export a version with all the notes and x-ref verse references if those were included in the text itself when the Bible version was created.

For instance if you have the ESV as the display version and go to Mark 9:2. If you have the Analysis Tab you would see this verse has ESV notes and a x-ref with it. Those are the notes and x-refs that you can export.

To do that you would go up to Tools on the menu bar, then Importing/Exporting Information and then Export Database. Select the ESV, type in the desired range and then click the box "Export notes and cross references." The resulting file is not really pretty to look at it, but that is how it's done.

If that's not what you're looking for, you'll probably have to request or suggest a new feature.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default Not quite

Thanks, Michael. But that is not what I was hoping for. Of course, exporting a, for example, ESV database, would include the x-references (plus notes and whatnot). It would be tedious, then, having to remove everything but the cross-references, but I would still have to look up the texts that go with them. I could, of course, takes these cross-references, and in BW9 make a list, and ... well, you get the point. Time consuming.

This would be a nice feature for future versions: namely, exporting blocks of cross-references with their accompanying referenced texts. For example, in Mat. 3:10, there is, among others, a cross-reference to the relevant text of Mat 7:19. So I would want to see both: the cross-reference AND the text.

Quote Originally Posted by basilides View Post
    I can give you a work-around that is not too tedious, depending on how you look at. I have not tried it myself, other than to open the .XRD file.

To wit, open your .XRD file (cross reference file, found in your BibleWorks/Database folder) with a text editor that has the capability to filter binary codes, such as NoteTab Pro. This will give you your data, but you will have to do a global replace to get rid of the binary codes and/or other unwanted info. You may have to do some formatting as well, depending on exactly what you want. Perhaps this will get you started.

In the meantime, you might want to email the ability to export the .XRD files as a text file to BibleWorks as a feature request.