Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Syriac Peshitta

Quote Originally Posted by ISalzman View Post
    My Aramaic is not bad actually. So is Syriac basically Aramaic transliterated in Syriac characters? (Not that that would help me at this point, since I don't read Syriac.)
    Syriac can be considered an eastern dialect of Aramaic. There's a debate about whether it should be counted as a dialect or as its own separate language, but in any case it's Aramaic. There are some grammatical differences from biblical Aramaic (which is western Aramaic); for instance, third masculine imperfect verb forms begin with nun instead of yod, and the plural emphatic of masculine nouns ends in ē instead of ayyā. Of course, there's also some distinctive vocabulary. Because Syriac became the language of the Christian church in the Middle East, there is a vast body of theological, liturgical, mystical, martyrological, etc., literature that uses specialized Christian terminology, some of it borrowed from Greek, some of it translated from Greek, some of it developed within Syriac.

If you know biblical Aramaic, you'd need to adjust to these differences (as well as to different scripts), but it probably wouldn't be that hard. If you know some Jewish Talmudic Aramaic (Jewish Babylonian Aramaic), which is also an eastern form of Aramaic, even some of the grammar might be familiar.

By the way, you're not the same David R who authored the Epistles of John in the Westminster Bible Companion Series, are you?
    As a matter of fact, yes.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Thanks, David. As a matter of fact, I studied the Talmud in Aramaic all of my middle and high school years. Sounds like mastering the script of Syriac would be about the biggest challenge that I'd face.

Kudos to you on your Epistles of John commentary. I literally just saw it advertised within the last couple of days. When I saw your name in the promo, I wondered if that was you. Blessings,

Irving

Thanks, Irving. It's good to know that they're still promoting it!

If you can read the Talmud in Aramaic, you've got a good jump on learning Syriac. As an added incentive, Syriac texts are usually not as elliptical and hard to follow as the Talmud can sometimes be!
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Thanks for the encouragement, David.