Thread: Warning about Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security 2013 upgrade & BW9

Hybrid View

Default Warning about Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security 2013 upgrade & BW9

I wish to warn anyone invited to make the following upgrade to beware that in my case, within about 30 minutes of installation, the default settings led to the deletion of my BibleWorks9 executable file. Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security 2013 informed me that the BibleWorks 9 executable was a malicious file. I do not know how I will get around this apart from re-installing the whole Bibleworks program, but for me this upgrade has been a disaster as I use BW9 on a daily basis for my work.

Default Ouch

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Crawford View Post
    I wish to warn anyone invited to make the following upgrade to beware that in my case, within about 30 minutes of installation, the default settings led to the deletion of my BibleWorks9 executable file. Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security 2013 informed me that the BibleWorks 9 executable was a malicious file. I do not know how I will get around this apart from re-installing the whole Bibleworks program, but for me this upgrade has been a disaster as I use BW9 on a daily basis for my work.
    Greg,

This has happened to me before in Norton. Norton has an option to restore files that are quarantined. I would be surprised if it was actually deleted. In any case you could still copy the executable from the root directory on your first BW DVD. Then do the usual updates. But you must also tell Trend not to delete the file. Many anti-virus program now have options to do a "heuristic" analysis of files to try to catch unknown viruses. They all make mistakes and most of them have ways to add programs to exception lists and to restore quarantined files. So you don't need to reinstall.

Don't consider the upgrade a disaster. It is Trend that is the disaster!

Maybe someone else here uses Trend and can tell you how to restore the file. Hope you find a solution.

Mike

I've never used Trend, but it does sound like you should go to their Customer Support. I have heard similar things about other security programs flagging or quarantining other software programs (not BibleWorks). The problem likely stems from the fact that the programs access the internet for updates.

Maybe I'm in the minority on this, but I think unless you are going to a lot of questionable websites or downloading things you perhaps shouldn't, you don't need a full fledged security program. Microsoft Security Essentials is a free program and not nearly invasive. Often when running other security programs, it feels like you need a program just to monitor the security actions themselves.

And remember, whenever you get emails or Facebook posts with odd headers, unusual spelling and grammar, or links to places that are either unclear or hidden, just delete them and move on. No human ever sends a message that says, "check out this link, lol!"
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!