Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Englihsman's search off a Strong's English text?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1

    Default Englihsman's search off a Strong's English text?

    Is it possible to use an English text with Strongs (like the KJV), and ask BW to find every place the Greek lemma behind the Engish occurs and display the results in English?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Yes. If you are using one of the English versions that is keyed to Strong's, toggle on the Strong's numbers (double click "Strong's" just below the browse window), right click on the number, and select "Search on Strong's Number." Or if you know the Strong's number, you can type the Strong's number following a period in the command line. Either way will show you all the verses containing the lemma, and give you the stats. However, the English word(s) derived from the lemma do(es) not seem to be highlighted in the results.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    392

    Default Highlighting corresponding words

    Lee's last point brings up an interesting matter. I've often wanted to compare Hebrew or Greek with one or another English version, and have the equivalent words highlighted or otherwise marked; or more simply, after a search to go from the list of Hebrew or Greek texts, with its highlighted search terms, to the corresponding list of texts in an English version (by changing versions, clicking on the green bar beneath the command line, and selecting Synchronize Results list) and have the English equivalents to my search term highlighted.

    I've assumed that BibleWorks cannot do this for a combination of reasons. (1) It would be a huge amount of coding to go through even one English version and mark the Hebrew or Greek on which each word is based (though Strong's already has this for a few versions). (2) The process would be made even more difficult by the fact that sometimes more than one English word may be needed to represent an original-language word, and at other times one English word may represent more than one original-language word, while in some cases (particularly in more functional-equivalence translations) it might be difficult to tie any particular English word to a particular original-language word. (3) Text-critical decisions vary from translation to translation, and it's not uncommon for a translation to reflect a Hebrew or Greek text other than the one present in WTT or BGT. How would this be encoded/highlighted?

    I'm sure there are other issues as well, on the one hand, and that, on the other, these very issues have been encountered by those who attached Strong's numbers to the versions that have them. But all in all it seems like a lot of work, and a lot of editorial decisions, would be involved in creating the databases that BW would then present.

    And while we're talking -- why still only Strong's numbers? Why not the more up-to-date Goodrick- Kohlenberger numbers?
    Last edited by DavidR; 09-13-2012 at 04:02 PM.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    Lee's last point brings up an interesting matter. I've often wanted to compare Hebrew or Greek with one or another English version, and have the equivalent words highlighted or otherwise marked...
    There are two ways that I employ to do this, but neither is 100% correlative.

    For more complicated searches I use the GSE, albeit only if I want to find words in more than two versions. So I'll skip any discussion of this method. You have to have at least a basic understanding of the GSE to do this, and even then you still have to manually tweak the results. IOW, you really have to be serious about it.

    The way I use most often, however, is the VLM (Verse List Manager). This only works if you are comparing two versions, say SCR/KJV, or whatever.

    For example, I set my search limits to 1 John. Then I search on the word "love" in the KJV. Then I import into the first VLM box the results. Next I search on the lemma for agape in the SCM. Now I click on the second box in the VLM to set the focus in that box, and then I import the SCM results into that box.

    Now you can see very easily how the two match up, as well as manipulate the results in a number of ways. You sill have to tweak the results manually to get totally accurate, but it's not really too big of a job if you set relatively small search limits.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    392

    Default

    Yes, I've found the Verse List Manager to be quite helpful for this kind of operation. Still not quite as good as highlighting the words in the verses, but it gets me a good way toward where I want to go.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •