Thread: New computer

Hybrid View

Default New computer

As a confirmed dinosaur, I am still using version 5. I am about to upgrade my computer (finally) to a more modern one, complete with plenty of RAM, a TB hard drive, and Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. The problem is, the new computer has a SATA HD interface, and my old one is IDE, so I can't hook up the old hard drive to the new computer. I still have my install CD, but am wondering what files I need to save on a USB thumb drive to make the installation easier. I have already transferred the Databases folder and the Patches folder to the thumb drive, but don't know if this will do it. I realize there are issues with fonts, etc., and am prepared to deal with those. Once I install the new computer, I intend to clear the old HD and dispose of the old unit, so I don't want to be left up the proverbial creek.

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by hdshepherd View Post
    As a confirmed dinosaur, I am still using version 5. I am about to upgrade my computer (finally) to a more modern one, complete with plenty of RAM, a TB hard drive, and Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. The problem is, the new computer has a SATA HD interface, and my old one is IDE, so I can't hook up the old hard drive to the new computer. I still have my install CD, but am wondering what files I need to save on a USB thumb drive to make the installation easier. I have already transferred the Databases folder and the Patches folder to the thumb drive, but don't know if this will do it. I realize there are issues with fonts, etc., and am prepared to deal with those. Once I install the new computer, I intend to clear the old HD and dispose of the old unit, so I don't want to be left up the proverbial creek.

Ralph
    Ralph,

On your old computer, go to the C:\program files directory. There you should find the Bibleworks directory (its Bibleworks 9 now, but I think pre-9 it was simply Bibleworks). Copy everything in that directory and all subdirectories. In addition, you should go into the C:\windows\system32 directory. There should be a bw.ini file there....grab that as well. Bibleworks doesn't put anything (of real value as far as I can tell) in the registry....if you have the files in the Bibleworks directory and the ini file, you've got everything Bibleworks uses when it runs. I believe that I've actually transferred Bibleworks from one computer to another by simply copying the directory and the ini file across. BW 9 is a bit more complex, but they've built in a migration tool to gather everything together and transfer it.
    Last edited by ccozier; 09-10-2012 at 07:11 PM.
    Rev. Clint Cozier, Ph.D.
    Pastor, Cherry Valley Church
    Caledonia, Michigan

Default Operating systems

The reason I thought I should do the install from the cd is the difference in operating systems. My old one is XP, and I will need to let Windows 7 know to run the program in 2000 mode (according to Bibleworks). Not sure when that opportunity arises, but figured it would happen during the install. If I can do it after installation, the idea of just transferring everything sounds like the easiest way to do it. Hope I have enough room on the thumb drive, as there is a lot of other stuff on it, awaiting transfer to the new computer. It is supposed to arrive tomorrow, Sep 12, by the way. I will keep the old one around for a while just in case, but my wife doesn't like keeping old stuff around, and I try to humor her. We've lasted 55 years; I don't want to do anything to upset the applecart at this stage. She is definitely worth humoring now and then, so I won't hang on to the old unit long.

I depend upon BW for some NT translating I have been doing. I am very dissatisfied with the lack of literalness in the published versions, especially in the verb tenses. Even the versions touted as being "literal" aren't, so far as I am concerned. So, I am doing my own; have all the epistles and Revelation done so far, and am currently working on Mark. Keeps me occupied in my retirement.

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by hdshepherd View Post
    ... I won't hang on to the old unit long.
    I trust you are talking about the computer and not your wife!

Just a few weeks ago I upgraded from an old WinXP to a spiffy new Win7 machine. I'm working on pulling together a more comprehensive guide to making the transition, but just a couple quick things...
    • Yes, you need to install from the CD, and I'm guessing that you read BW's own support page on installing a pre-version 7 edition of BW on a Win 7 computer.
    • I'm pretty sure you can simply transfer everything in these subdirectories: ase, diagram, gntdgm, images, notes, timeline
    • You need to be a little careful transferring things from the databases and the userdb subdirectories. There may be some issues, especially if your directory paths have changed. Namely, note that you may have a different hard drive letter, and you will certainly have a different path on the WinXP machine--where BW was located under Program Files--and Win7--where it will go under Program Files (x86).
    • In light of the previous point, there will be even more issues transferring stuff in your init subdirectory.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Default Old unit, etc.

Mark,

I'll keep the human unit as long as we both are sucking air, I guess, if she doesn't object.

I hope that detailed guide is finished in time to help me. Please post its location here. You have already helped by confirming I need to install from the CD, and I will go that route.

Ralph
    Last edited by hdshepherd; 09-11-2012 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Needed salutation

Default Lexicons

Installation went well, and BW is working OK. Only problem is, I seem to have lost Thayer's and Louw-Nida lexicons. i downloaded the updates for my version, but they are still missing. Any ideas how to get them back? I use all the lexicons in my translation work, including the occasional reference to my unabridged hard copy of Liddell & Scott, so I miss them. I also have a new problem since downloading the updates. Each time I fire up Bibleworks, I get a message saying fonts have changed and I need to reboot. I have rebooted. I have deleted and reinstalled the fonts. Nothng helps. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Ralph
    Last edited by hdshepherd; 09-19-2012 at 03:42 PM.

Default Missing Louw-Nida

Mark,
    I appreciate your advice. To be safe, I loaded the software from the disc, and then downloaded the updates from BW. The program is working fine, but I have lost the Louw-Nida lexicon somehow. I apparently have no file so identified on the thumb drive, as I copied a limited amount of stuff onto it. I thought it would be included in the update download (is that an oxymoron?), but it wasn't. If you have any idea how to solve this, it would be much appreciated. I use all the lexicons in the program, with occasional references to my paper unabridged copy of Liddell and Scott, so I miss it.

Ralph

"Just a few weeks ago I upgraded from an old WinXP to a spiffy new Win7 machine. I'm working on pulling together a more comprehensive guide to making the transition, but just a couple quick things...
    • Yes, you need to install from the CD, and I'm guessing that you read BW's own support page on installing a pre-version 7 edition of BW on a Win 7 computer.
    • I'm pretty sure you can simply transfer everything in these subdirectories: ase, diagram, gntdgm, images, notes, timeline
    • You need to be a little careful transferring things from the databases and the userdb subdirectories. There may be some issues, especially if your directory paths have changed. Namely, note that you may have a different hard drive letter, and you will certainly have a different path on the WinXP machine--where BW was located under Program Files--and Win7--where it will go under Program Files (x86).
    • In light of the previous point, there will be even more issues transferring stuff in your init subdirectory."