Thread: Distinguishing between Homographs in Command Line search

Hybrid View

Default Distinguishing between Homographs in Command Line search

I can't seem to find clear instructions on how to do this. If I want to find all occurrences of 2_קרא and not 1_קרא, how do I make the distinction in my search terminology?

Quote Originally Posted by braindavson View Post
    I can't seem to find clear instructions on how to do this. If I want to find all occurrences of 2_קרא and not 1_קרא, how do I make the distinction in my search terminology?
    Hello braindavson,

the search you are looking for might look something like the following:

.קרא@v*+*Hb*

Here are the homonym codes for the WTM database

a= homonym 1

b= homonym 2
    c= homonym 3

The "v" stands for "Verb" and the "*" for any of the additional codes

I hope this helps.

Last edited by bkMitchell; 08-06-2012 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Corrected search query based on Glenn Weaver's post that follows this one. The correction is in red.
    Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/

Thanks for the reply,

For whatever reason I can't get those search terms to generate results. I'm familiar with an expression like .קרא@v* but I don't know what the "+*Hb". It is not clear to me when or how to insert the homograph indicators (a,b,c,etc.).

Hi braindavson,

The search looks correct except there is not asterisk * placed after the "Hb". If you do not include the asterisk you will not find any search results, since there are additional codes to be entered.

If you wanted to search for the first homonym, you would enter "Ha". If you wanted the third homonym, you would enter "Hc", etc.

Please let us knwo if you need further help. I also suggest watching the video on searching Hebrew morphology, and taking a look at the BibleWorks 9 help file, chapter 66 Morphological Coding Schemes. This will give further info about what information is contained in the morphology and how to work with it.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

For technical support, please contact Customer Support.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Weaver View Post
    Hi braindavson,

The search looks correct except there is not asterisk * placed after the "Hb". If you do not include the asterisk you will not find any search results, since there are additional codes to be entered.

If you wanted to search for the first homonym, you would enter "Ha". If you wanted the third homonym, you would enter "Hc", etc.

Please let us knwo if you need further help. I also suggest watching the video on searching Hebrew morphology, and taking a look at the BibleWorks 9 help file, chapter 66 Morphological Coding Schemes. This will give further info about what information is contained in the morphology and how to work with it.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    BK and Glenn,

Thank you so much. The search works and the same terminology-- @v*+*Hb* -- seems to work with other lemma as well. I've been a Logos user for over 10 years, and I'm just now discovering the complementary benefits of Bibleworks. So much to learn.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Weaver View Post
    Hi braindavson,

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Thanks for the help guys!