Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Video: BibleWorks 9 running on a Windows 8 tablet PC

Great video. One question I have concerns the screen keyboard. Will there be the possibility of having a Hebrew Keyboard (and/or Greek) appear on the screen like that too?

Irving

Quote Originally Posted by ISalzman View Post
    Great video. One question I have concerns the screen keyboard. Will there be the possibility of having a Hebrew Keyboard (and/or Greek) appear on the screen like that too?
    Great question! That might be asking a little much for the near future (assuming the OS doesn't have it built in), but it would be a very handy feature.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

Default Tablet User

I am a current Samsung Galaxy 10.1 user, and I would really like to have access to BW9 on it. Now, because I'm not a techie, is there some kind of upgrade I'll need?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    Thanks for this. I'm not a tablet user and won't become one anytime soon, but I sent the link to several friends of mine who are.

Quote Originally Posted by revpearl View Post
    I am a current Samsung Galaxy 10.1 user, and I would really like to have access to BW9 on it. Now, because I'm not a techie, is there some kind of upgrade I'll need?

Thanks.
    Not on a Galaxy. This video shows a tablet running Microsoft Windows operating system. Your tablet runs Android. So in order to use BibleWorks on a tablet you have to get one that specifically can run the Microsoft Windows operating system. Currently the number of such tablets is rather small, but it could be on the rise with the release of Microsoft Surface (their new tablet) which runs Windows 8 natively.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

...or, using a desktop access utility like Splashtop, you can access Bibleworks via an iPad or iPhone (though the iPhone is pretty small to be all that practical). The only bottleneck is the speed of your wifi network; on mine there is a split-second delay in response time, otherwise it works fine.

Default Splashtop

Quote Originally Posted by bobvenem View Post
    ...or, using a desktop access utility like Splashtop, you can access Bibleworks via an iPad or iPhone (though the iPhone is pretty small to be all that practical). The only bottleneck is the speed of your wifi network; on mine there is a split-second delay in response time, otherwise it works fine.
    I wasn't familiar with Splashtop. I see it is available for android. Anyone else have experience with it an Biblework?

Announcement tomorrow (Wednesday) regarding the Samsung Series 5 Windows tablet, which should have 10 hours of battery life and some kind of docking keyboard.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...t_prior_to_IFA
    Last edited by robrecht; 08-28-2012 at 10:39 AM.

[QUOTE=admin;28252]Whee! We stopped by the BibleWorks Laboratory where they gave us an informal demo of BibleWorks 9 running on Windows 8 (Release Preview) on a Tablet PC. This machine is a Samsung Series 7 Slate. You can use it alone as a tablet, or add an optional keyboard, mouse, or stylus pen.

What is the likelihood of Bibleworks developing a version that runs on Windows 8 RT?

Quote Originally Posted by dmiller View Post
    What is the likelihood of Bibleworks developing a version that runs on Windows 8 RT?
    Not at all likely. See this post from another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    There are basically two versions of Windows 8:

1. The RT version runs on a low power processor called ARM. It runs only full screen metro applications which can be bought only through the microsoft store. The price and batter life should be about the same as iPad. But it cannot run win 32 applications and hence cannot run Windows 7 applications. It will be low powerm and low cost but very limited in capability. On an ARM pad It is pretty much equivalent to iPad.

2. The other version is a full version of windows that can run any Windows 7 program, including BibleWorks. A new intel pad like the Samsung Series 7 Slate makes the iPad look like a toy. The down side is it is about 30% more expensive and consumes a little less than double the power. Samsung says 7 hours compared to 10 for an iPad but Samsung is likely being pretty optimistic. In my view the capabilities are so far above an iPad that it is no contest. One is a toy. One is a powerful tool. Don't get me wrong. I have an iPad and love it. But I was blown away by the first real intel pad running Wondows 8. No contest.

Personally I don't see how the RT pads can succeed in the long run. Maybe for people who just play games and tinker with social media. But it is very limited and totally controlled and locked down by Microsoft, like Apple does for iPad.

The Microsoft inte version of their Slate pad won't be out til early next year (the ARM version is imminent) but it may be worth waiting for. In any case you will have a flood of options. Maufacturers are on this like a tick on a dog.

BibleWorks is already running well on option 2. Just needs a little tweaking. We will probably do something at some point for option 1, but the platform really isn't suitable for full BibleWorks. It would need to be a radically stripped down version.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by robrecht View Post
    Announcement tomorrow (Wednesday) regarding the Samsung Series 5 Windows tablet, which should have 10 hours of battery life and some kind of docking keyboard.
    Pretty nice design.

http://www.cnet.com/laptops/samsung-...-35427777.html

I was hoping the Series 5 might have a smaller screen to increase portability, but smaller than 11" may be too small for BibleWorks anyway. They should put a battry in that keyboard dock to increase battery life, like the Asus Transformer. At any rate, neither is powerful enough or small enough to replace my Samsung Series 7 laptop.