Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New BibleWorks Channel on Youtube

Great news, Mike! I have held off on getting a tablet because I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the Windows 8 Tablets. What a day that will be when I can enjoy true mobility with BibleWorks. What is meant by the RT Version of Windows 8? And, at some point, if you guys are planning to do a video with any recommendations of good Windows 8 Tablets, that would be amazing.

By the way, I am hoping that the Windows Tablets will come down in price and eventually be cheaper than the iPad. It stands to reason that they should, since only Apple produces the iPad. I assume, perhaps naively, that Windows will continue to allow the different equipment manufacturers (HP, Dell, Samsung, Sony, Acer, Lenovo, etc.) to produce Windows Tablets. Also, the news that the Battery Life of the Windows 8 Tablets is not as good as the iPad is a little disconcerting. It makes me want to hold off buying a Windows 8 Tablet until Battery Life gets a little better.

Irving
    Last edited by ISalzman; 07-26-2012 at 11:57 AM.

I too have been holding off on buying a tablet, waiting to see if Android software options and integration really catch up with the iPad. But now that may be a moot question for me, but still a wait. I typically prefer working on laptops anyway. Still, you can never have too many gadgets, right, so I'm anxious to see how this option will develop.

Default Windows 8

Quote Originally Posted by ISalzman View Post
    Great news, Mike! I have held off on getting a tablet because I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the Windows 8 Tablets. What a day that will be when I can enjoy true mobility with BibleWorks. What is meant by the RT Version of Windows 8? And, at some point, if you guys are planning to do a video with any recommendations of good Windows 8 Tablets, that would be amazing.

By the way, I am hoping that the Windows Tablets will come down in price and eventually be cheaper than the iPad. It stands to reason that they should, since only Apple produces the iPad. I assume, perhaps naively, that Windows will continue to allow the different equipment manufacturers (HP, Dell, Samsung, Sony, Acer, Lenovo, etc.) to produce Windows Tablets. Also, the news that the Battery Life of the Windows 8 Tablets is not as good as the iPad is a little disconcerting. It makes me want to hold off buying a Windows 8 Tablet until Battery Life gets a little better.

Irving
    There are basically two versions of Windows 8:

1. The RT version runs on a low power processor called ARM. It runs only full screen metro applications which can be bought only through the microsoft store. The price and batter life should be about the same as iPad. But it cannot run win 32 applications and hence cannot run Windows 7 applications. It will be low powerm and low cost but very limited in capability. On an ARM pad It is pretty much equivalent to iPad.

2. The other version is a full version of windows that can run any Windows 7 program, including BibleWorks. A new intel pad like the Samsung Series 7 Slate makes the iPad look like a toy. The down side is it is about 30% more expensive and consumes a little less than double the power. Samsung says 7 hours compared to 10 for an iPad but Samsung is likely being pretty optimistic. In my view the capabilities are so far above an iPad that it is no contest. One is a toy. One is a powerful tool. Don't get me wrong. I have an iPad and love it. But I was blown away by the first real intel pad running Wondows 8. No contest.

Personally I don't see how the RT pads can succeed in the long run. Maybe for people who just play games and tinker with social media. But it is very limited and totally controlled and locked down by Microsoft, like Apple does for iPad.

The Microsoft inte version of their Slate pad won't be out til early next year (the ARM version is imminent) but it may be worth waiting for. In any case you will have a flood of options. Maufacturers are on this like a tick on a dog.

BibleWorks is already running well on option 2. Just needs a little tweaking. We will probably do something at some point for option 1, but the platform really isn't suitable for full BibleWorks. It would need to be a radically stripped down version.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Yes, thanks very much, Mike. Very helpful. I'm going to wait for the full Windows Version, not the RT Version.

Mike, is there a reason why you're specifying Windows 8? Does the Samsung tablet with Windows 8 run BibleWorks better than the same tablet running Windows 7?

Default Why win 8

Quote Originally Posted by robrecht View Post
    Mike, is there a reason why you're specifying Windows 8? Does the Samsung tablet with Windows 8 run BibleWorks better than the same tablet running Windows 7?
    Right now you would not see much difference in the way BW works. It works really well on win 7. Over time however we will add tweaks and features that utilize win 8 only capabilities. And keep in mind that win 8 is redesigned with touch screens in mind. It is a lot more fun on a pad computer than win 7. But if you want to run BW on a pad computer under win 7, the samsung slate will do it pretty well. Right now it is the only reasonable choice but that will change dramatically in a month or two.
    mike

BibleWorks on a Windows 8 touchscreen pad is going to be awesome, Mike. Can't wait. Thanks for the great forward and progressive thinking.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    ... Over time however we will add tweaks and features that utilize win 8 only capabilities. And keep in mind that win 8 is redesigned with touch screens in mind. It is a lot more fun on a pad computer than win 7...
    Fascinating news this is!
    Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/

I have to say that I have been very busy this year and not able to really get into the tools that BW 9 offers like I want to, hopefully that will change in the future. I love the videos and they do a good job of drawing me back into using those tools. I already saw the video of BW being used on the samsung tablet and I am very excited about this. I was thinking about very soon looking into an android tablet, but after seeing the video I think I will wait a bit longer to get the Win 8 to run BW.
    Chris Sansom
    M. Div. Concordia Seminary
    Google+
    Facebook!
    LibraryThing!