Thread: Smarter lemma searches?

Hybrid View

Default Smarter lemma searches?

When I "search on lemma" in the Hebrew text in BibleWorks, I noticed that if a given word has a "I" meaning and a "II" meaning (i.e., same lemma but totally different meanings), both come up in my search. Is there a way to differentiate, i.e., search for just II 'mr without the results from I 'mr coming up?

Which meaning is appropriate is a decision made based on the context. While we use lexicons to guide us, part of personally studying a passage is making those decisions yourself. A search based upon a certain meaning of a lemma would have to be based on someone's decisions. It would keep you from seeing the full range of possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by AbramKJ View Post
    When I "search on lemma" in the Hebrew text in BibleWorks, I noticed that if a given word has a "I" meaning and a "II" meaning (i.e., same lemma but totally different meanings), both come up in my search. Is there a way to differentiate, i.e., search for just II 'mr without the results from I 'mr coming up?
    Yes.
    lemma@*Ha* will find the I meaning, *Hb* the second meaning, etc. It's the homonym code, hence H. I'm assuming you have some facility with the command line.
    Ben

Indeed I do, Ben. Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for.