Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feature Request . . .

Default Feature Request . . .

. . . or maybe just tell me how to do it?

At any rate, I often like to work in single-version browse mode. But I would like to be able to bounce between the Greek and English more quickly in the NT, and between the Hebrew and the English more quickly in the OT. For example, if I am going back and forth between the BYZ and the KJV, it would be helpful to have a button or keyboard shortcut to toggle between the two, rather than having to place the cursor on the command line and type "BYZ" or "KJV" each time. A user could set his preferred English, Greek, and Hebrew version so that he could more quickly switch between them in single-version browse mode.

Again, if there is already a way to do this, I would appreciate it if someone would please let me know.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

Maybe I'm not understanding the question, but if I have KJV set as the search version in the Browse Window, and BYZ as the display version in the Browse TAB in the Analysis pane, this does just what you are asking.

You can assign that combination to one of the tabs on the left (above the results pane), and then switch to another tab and set up another combination, such as KJV as your search version in the Browse Window and WTT as the display version in the Browse TAB in the Analysis pane.

If I haven't misunderstood your question, that would be the way I would do it.

You could also, however, use the Parallel Version Tool, but I think the above way is better.

Thanks for the response. That wasn't exactly what I was looking for, although I admit that is not too far off. But what I really wanted to do was toggle between the Greek and the English (or the Hebrew and the English)--both in the browse window. That way I could keep the other two windows on other tabs (e.g., Notes in the analysis window, CNTTS Apparatus in the 4th window).

I know, it doesn't seem like a big deal. But the way I often seem to work, I would find it helpful.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

If I understand your request correctly, you want to have both Greek/Hebrew and English showing, but on occasion switch just to Greek/Hebrew or English in the Browse pane. If that is what you want, the fastest way I know is:

• Double-click on the version you want to make your focus. (Ie, double-click on the superscripted BGT or KJV or WTT or whatever in the browse pane)
    • With the mouse still somewhere in the browse pane, hit the letter "b" (or click on the little footprints at the top of the browse pane)
    • Hit the letter "b" again (or click footprints) to return to multiple versions
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Default Use parallel versions windows, or new browse window

How about this: Set up two parallel versions windows, one with English and Greek, the other with English and Hebrew. Click the Parallel Versions button on the toolbar, or Tools > Viewing the Text > Parallel Versions Window. Click the English version you want, click the Hebrew or Greek version you want, and click OK. The text will open to the current Browse Window verse, and you can then browse around from there, with the English and original language side by side.

If this works, you can set these up as favorites. Click the down arrow next to the Parallel Versions button on the toolbar, then Edit Favorites; or Tools > Options, and then Favorites under Bible Versions. The bottom half of the dialog lets you set up named Parallel Versions favorites, which you can then access in the future by clicking the down arrow next to the Parallel Versions button on the toolbar.

Admittedly, this means leaving the main BW window, but it's easy to go back and forth, and you can look at the languages die by side.

Maybe even simpler yet, while you're viewing one language in single-version browse mode in the main Browse Window, click the little green Browse Window Options checkbox to the left of the footprints, and click New Browse Window. This will open a new window floating above the main BW window. In that window, change to the language version you want. You'll then have both languages visible at once, and you can move the floating Browse Window wherever you want, or minimize it when you're not using it.

Still not exactly what you were asking for, but perhaps usable.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Thank you everyone for your responses. It's clear that I am not being very clear.

What I would like to do is remain in single version browse mode, and toggle between versions (particularly between a primary Greek and a primary English version, and between a primary Hebrew and the aforementioned primary English version).

I would like to be able to go from this
    Name:  BW1.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  358.5 KB

To this.
    Name:  BW2.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  331.2 KB

Or I would like to be able to go from this
    Name:  BW3.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  367.5 KB

To this
    Name:  BW4.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  353.1 KB

. . . all with one click. Just like toggling between single-version and multi-version browse mode.

Thanks, Lee. That's what I thought you were aiming at, and I didn't think it could be done so simply, so I offered a couple of alternatives, knowing that they were not quite the real thing. Of course, you can click on the down arrow next to the version abbreviation in the Browse Window, slide your mouse pointer to the language and version you want, and click on it; but that's still obviously not the one-click solution. AFAIK, the latter doesn't exist.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

I will say, Mark, that is a way to get there I hadn't thought of. Of course, that's 4 clicks instead of 1, but it does avoid having to type in the command line.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    Thanks, Lee. That's what I thought you were aiming at, and I didn't think it could be done so simply, so I offered a couple of alternatives, knowing that they were not quite the real thing. Of course, you can click on the down arrow next to the version abbreviation in the Browse Window, slide your mouse pointer to the language and version you want, and click on it; but that's still obviously not the one-click solution. AFAIK, the latter doesn't exist.
    Thanks, David. That would be a possibility, and opening a new browse window as you mentioned before is probably the best solution as things stand, assuming one is continually going back and forth between the two.

In the above examples you provided, you can do what you want with the sole exception that you will have to add one step, i.e., selecting a verse.

Assign one of your above combinations to Tab 1, assign the other to Tab 2, and so on. Then you merely click on whichever Tab has the combination you want, but AFAIK there is no provision for synchronizing Tabs, so if you switch verses in one Tab you'll have to navigate to that verse when you switch to the other.

Which brings up the possibility of a new feature request, i.e., the ability to synch Tabs.

If this could be done, your problem would be completely sovled and you could do exactly what you want with a single click on the Tab of your choice.