Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: BibleWorks 9 vs Logos 4 Original Languages

Quote Originally Posted by bobvenem View Post
    Answering your second comment first, to make the original language display first would create a standard interlinear.

As for the first point (inhibiting familiarity with the original language), I teach a course on using original language tools to those who use only the English Bible. It gives the students a taste of the original without requiring them to learn another language. Learning Greek and Hebrew is preferable.
    Can that be done in Logos, ie, making the reverse interlinears appear as standard interlinears? Is there a true parallel of the MT and LXX?

I agree that interlinears can be useful for introductory students.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Cobb View Post
    Although I question the real usefulness of interlinears, I would point out that BW does have something quite close to a reverse interlinear: several English versions (KJV,NASB) and other language versions (Segond in French, etc.) are fully tagged so that by simply hovering your mouse over a word, you get a complete parsing of the Greek or Hebrew word behind it. You can also do that with the "word tips", which immediately give you the parsing, plus the Strongs number and a basic gloss. So the the only real difference from a reverse interlinear is that you don't have the two rows with the English translation directly above the Greek/Hebrew text.

Having said that, I personally wouldn't recommend an electronic interlinear (especially a reverse one) to anybody. The long-term usefulness of any Bible program is the ease with which you can access the Biblical text (as well as other Greek/Hebrew texts from the same period) and, through regular reading, become comfortable with reading the original text itself. The problem with interlinears is that they strongly inhibit that regular direct contact. BW is particularly suited for building familiarity with the original languages, since it comes, not only with the NT and LXX but also, as part of the base package, Josephus, Philo, the Apostolic Fathers, and the OT pseudopigrapha (did I mention that all these are fully tagged and searchable?). These alone in Logos, as separate add-ons, would cost your far more than the base package of BW9. Plus, in BW9, you also get photo-facsimiles of several of the major NT manuscripts and full electronic transcriptions!

Donald Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France
    I am with you, Donald. I have Logos, but I have absolutely no use for the interlinears or reverse interlinears. I would much rather view the text in BibleWorks.

Quote Originally Posted by robrecht View Post
    Can that be done in Logos, ie, making the reverse interlinears appear as standard interlinears? Is there a true parallel of the MT and LXX?
    To be honest, I don't know. I use one reverse interlinear (the KJV), and then only on a limited basis in the classroom. I use BW for everything else.

Thanks, Bob.

Default New Question

Someone has told me that BbileWorks can display multiple versions, but only one verse at a time. Is that really true? Seems to me I've seen otherwise but don't remember exactly where.

Someone has told me that BbileWorks can display multiple versions, but only one verse at a time. Is that really true? Seems to me I've seen otherwise but don't remember exactly where.
    That's not correct - Bibleworks can display more than one version (indeed numerous versions) over as many verses as you require. Whether you'll fit them all on the screen might be an issue - but that's more about your screen size (and possibly your visual acuity!).

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Laurence View Post
    That's not correct - Bibleworks can display more than one version (indeed numerous versions) over as many verses as you require. Whether you'll fit them all on the screen might be an issue - but that's more about your screen size (and possibly your visual acuity!).
    Thanks, Nick, that's very good to know!

Quote Originally Posted by ISalzman View Post
    I am with you, Donald. I have Logos, but I have absolutely no use for the interlinears or reverse interlinears. I would much rather view the text in BibleWorks.
    Another "plus one" on this. I've recently bought Accordance which can also do interlinears. I've taken a look, but nothing more. I'm glad Bibleworks has got me used to dealing with the original language text; I think I would have been far too tempted to rely on an interlinear had one been available to me, which would have been to the detriment of my original language skills (which are admittedly still far from brilliant). My Accordance is firmly switched to BHS and GNT, and will remain so.

Bibleworks (and Accordance) has excellent tools for language learning/teaching - look on their website for hints and tips; interlinears, in my view, aren't one of them.

Red face

I'll answer your question with a picture. After, all a picture is worth a thousand words:
    Name:  BibleWorksPV.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  291.9 KB

And one more for good measure:
    Name:  BibleWorks9.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  269.8 KB
    Last edited by bkMitchell; 06-14-2012 at 07:57 AM.
    Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Laurence View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bkMitchell View Post
    I'll answer your question with a picture. After, all a picture is worth a thousand words:

And one more for good measure:
    Nick & Brian, or anyone, I would assume that all the versions could be made to scroll together, is that not correct??
    Last edited by robrecht; 06-14-2012 at 11:17 AM. Reason: To add 2nd quote