Thread: Verse mapping limit

Default Verse mapping limit

I've discovered that my installation of BW9 allows me to map 1 verse of a version to a maximum of 50 verses in another version.
    Background info: BW version 9.0.009r.1(SH), system is Windows 7 Home Premium.

I created a .vmf (verse mapping file) for my Good News Bible user version. GNB restructures Numbers 7:12-83 into a straight forward presentation that cannot be reasonably divided into separate verses. So my verse map had 72 entries mapping this one GNB verse (Num 7:12) to verses 12-83 in WTT. As long as GNB was one of my display versions, I could not display Numbers 7:12 and following – BW9 would abend.
    By trial and error I discovered that a 1 to 51 mapping would abend, and that a 1 to 50 mapping would display properly.

Incidentally, after each abend I had to do “spring housecleaning” – start BW9 with Shift depressed, then start with the option “Rebuild Version Data” checked. Otherwise it would abend with much smaller mappings.

Has anything like this hit anyone else?

I am informing BW support of this; I would guess that this is simply a case of reality overtaking an “allowing them 50 mappings per verse is way larger than any sane user will ever get close to” decision.
    Seems to me that the verse map processing in BW is very complicated, so to enable larger mappings may take more effort than it would be worth. On the other hand, it would be nice if it could handle my situation described above.

--Jim

Or, could you just break up the one verse in the Good News Bible into two verses, and map them that way? With a "verse" that many verses long, how could you see more than just the GNB version in your browse window? The purpose of verse mapping is to be able to view multiple versions together, which you can't do with a verse that big. (There is a similar problem with some of the long LXX "verses" which Rahlfs divides into sub-verses, but BW cannot.) I have CEV as a user database, and I decided NOT to map Num. 7:12-83 for the reasons above. But since GNB is your own user version, you could add as many verse breaks as you want at appropriate places in that long verse, and map those smaller verses to WTT. It would take some work, but at least that way you could view the corresponding multiple verses together. Just a thought. In fact, I might just try that.
    Mark Eddy

Default The solution for today.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    Or, could you just break up the one verse in the Good News Bible into two verses, and map them that way? With a "verse" that many verses long, how could you see more than just the GNB version in your browse window? The purpose of verse mapping is to be able to view multiple versions together, which you can't do with a verse that big. (There is a similar problem with some of the long LXX "verses" which Rahlfs divides into sub-verses, but BW cannot.) I have CEV as a user database, and I decided NOT to map Num. 7:12-83 for the reasons above. But since GNB is your own user version, you could add as many verse breaks as you want at appropriate places in that long verse, and map those smaller verses to WTT. It would take some work, but at least that way you could view the corresponding multiple verses together. Just a thought. In fact, I might just try that.
    Mark Eddy
    I will, for now, break it up into 6 verses. That gives the most tidy result if I must break them up. The passage is 12 sets of 6 verses each, so I will end up with the first GNB verse mapped to 24 WTT verses (the first and last verses of each set), the 2nd through 5th each mapped to the equivalent 12 WTT verses, and the 6th mapped to the same 24 WTT verses as the first verse.

I would still prefer the 1 to 72 mapping.
    • I would like to keep my BW user version as close to the original print edition as possible. I would like to respect their decision to treat verses 12-83 as one undivided unit.
      GNB is especially difficult to convert because it's design is almost opposite to BW's design. Verses are the core of BW; they seem an afterthought in GNB. The use of tables to present information, the headings, the use of formatting help convey information makes it hard to do a reasonable conversion. So I'd like to retain as much of the flavour as I can. (I've put the headings in as footnotes. Not ideal, but better than nothing)
    • GNB compacts those 72 verses enough that they take up about a third of my browse column. With another version as the search version, it is nice to have this whole think pop up for each of the 72 verses -- it helps me to see what the author of Numbers is doing.
      Of course, if GNB is the search version, then each of the other display versions will take up a bunch of pages by itself; I agree that this use is pointless. (In this situation BW9 chugs away for an uncharacteristic length of time. (Well, it does for the 1-50 mapping anyway; for the 1-72 mapping the wait time is infinite, since it always crashes.))
    • And I don't like to bump up against limits.

--Jim