Thread: LibreOffice is friendly to BibleWorks

Default LibreOffice is friendly to BibleWorks

For some time now I have used OpenOffice as a replacement for MicrosoftOffice. (We have a very old version of MicrosoftOffice that the rest of my family use). The biggest annoyance with OO was that I could not directly paste from BW's browse pane; it didn't recognize BW's format. I had to copy to BW Editor, and then from there copy to OO.
    Some days ago I decided to see what kind of upgrade might be available for OO, since I hadn't upgraded for a year or three. I discovered that OO had languished after Oracle bought oversight of it, and that some of the key developers of OO had come out with updates. Since they don't have legal right to the OO name, they call it LibreOffice. They claim to have significantly expanded OO's ability to deal with various data formats.
    I installed LO, and can now drag and drop from BW browse pane to LO.
    I didn't uninstall OO before installing LO and discovered that the two systems interfere with each other; after uninstalling both and reinstalling LO it seems to be working fine.
    Aren't free programs that work well a great thing?
    --Jim

I'm afraid I'm very happy with Office 2010, but I did look over Libre. I can't find a database like Access. That's a HUGE deal-breaker with me. Have I just i just missed it or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    I'm afraid I'm very happy with Office 2010, but I did look over Libre. I can't find a database like Access. That's a HUGE deal-breaker with me. Have I just i just missed it or something?
    It probably depends on the meaning of "like" here. LibreOffice has a DB called Base, which is quite capable, but not at all compatible with Access-created DBs.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomSF View Post
    It probably depends on the meaning of "like" here. LibreOffice has a DB called Base, which is quite capable, but not at all compatible with Access-created DBs.
    Thanks. I found it after looking at the features page. LibreOffice does indeed look like a really cool suite, and you can't beat the price, but at this point I'm completely happy with Office 2010. And needless to say, I've got a lot invested in its format.

Default LibreOffice

I just deinsalled OpenOffice and installed LibreOffice. It's not that I use it much. For that matter, I don't even use MS Office that much, since I use Nota Bene. But I have been recommending OpenOffice and will switch me recommendation to LibreOffice for my students all over the world who can't pony up the price to by MS Word. I'm impressed with what Libra has done with all those modules.

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)