Thread: How-to? Document: hebrew on one page, on the opposite page my translation

Default How-to? Document: hebrew on one page, on the opposite page my translation

Hi,

I'm reading the Old Testament in hebrew and doing a translation into Danish. I would like to set up a document, where I have the biblical hebrew text on the left side, and my translation on the right side. I would also like to have footnotes on the right side, where I can write comments regarding my translation.

Does anyone know, how to set up such a document in Word (or other formats if this is better)? Or is there a program that can help me with this? Can BibleWorks do this?

If in Word, is there a template I can download somewhere?

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards,
    Jesper

Quote Originally Posted by Font View Post
    Hi,

I'm reading the Old Testament in hebrew and doing a translation into Danish. I would like to set up a document, where I have the biblical hebrew text on the left side, and my translation on the right side. I would also like to have footnotes on the right side, where I can write comments regarding my translation.

Does anyone know, how to set up such a document in Word (or other formats if this is better)? Or is there a program that can help me with this? Can BibleWorks do this?

If in Word, is there a template I can download somewhere?

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards,
    Jesper
    I am not sure if there is another way - and I would like to hear of it if there is - but you could set up a series of "Textboxes" on the left side of the page. You could link these so that your Hebrew text flows from page to page.

Then, on your right side of the page you would have your standard Word document.

You would have to do a new text box for every page, and then link them together.

You would also have to make sure that you "right click" on the outside border of each textbox and under "wrap text", select either "square" or "tight". This will keep the text from your Word section overlapping into your text box area (and not be seen).

If you wanted, you could do the same with full pages (even for Hebrew Text, odd for English) so as to have a full page spread for either.

It wouldn't be automatic, and could be a bit messy, and I think you would have to format the size of the text box on each page - but it could be done.

But, if there is another, better way - I also would like to know.
    Last edited by jimofbentley; 05-22-2012 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimofbentley View Post
    But, if there is another, better way - I also would like to know.
    Hi Jim,

I also asked over at Logos forums, and there were several suggestions you also might want to see: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/50082.aspx

Kind regards

Thanks for the link.

It seems that users on the other forum often mentioned using a two-columned table.

I had thought of that, but didn't mention it because I didn't think that you will be able to include footnotes in a table. However, I just checked, and yes, you can, only they will not be located within the table itself, but beneath it, and outside of it.

All the best with your project.

Hi Jesper,

I don't know much about your project or how you want to use it, but here are some things to consider.

1) Consider not just how you want to use the content now, but how you might want to use it in the future. Perhaps you want this for a print project now, but in the future you might want to include your text on a website, or in a wide variety of electronic formats (ePub, Kindle, BibleWorks format, etc.). The decisions you make now in how you develop the content will affect if you will be able to use your text in the future. As a content developer, I sometimes see texts that are unusable because of the way they were developed or (sometimes) the format in which they were developed.

2) Keep your streams of content separate but linkable. Your Hebrew text is one stream, your Danish translation another, and your notes another stream. They are linkable by using verse references, styles tags, and unique tags. If you mix your content it might look good in your first print project, but may be nearly imposssible to use in the future. Plan the project well from the start or you will have problems along the way.

3) Unless you already have a print publisher in mind, and have received their formatting guidelines, I expect that your page layout will change. Before you begin ask them what format they want. They might very well reject your content if it is in a format that they cannot use without major reformatting.

4) My suggestion for developing your content is to have three different Word documents, one for the Hebrew text, one for your Danish translation, and one for your notes. Use standard versificaton tags for each of them. In this way you can drop your text into a professional page layout tool (Adobe InDesign, Quark Express, or on a cheaper [though still very powerful!] level, Serif PagePlus) for your print formatting project. You will also be able to use your Word documents to create electronic files in the future. (And don't forget to consider BibleWorks for your Danish translation! We are always looking for new Bibles to add to our program.)

I will pray for your project. It is not a trivial undertaking, though it could be a great experience for you.

Blessings,
    Glenn

Glenn Weaver
    Content Developer
    BibleWorks
    Glenn Weaver

For technical support, please contact Customer Support.