Thread: Link to EarlyBible.com?

Hybrid View

Default Link to EarlyBible.com?

Hey everyone,

Sorry if this is kind of a basic question, but is there a way to link Bibleworks to EarlyBible.com? It has pictures many of the New Testament Papyri and makes it super easy to view them in close detail (with a simple magnifier)!

Thanks!

There is no easy way to do so if you mean linking a verse in BW to the image of that verse in one of the papyrii displayed on that site.
    It's a nice site, and it's handy to have access to the papyrii, so I added it to my collection of external links in BW's ERMIE (the external resources manager). There should already be a Textual Criticism heading and a Manuscripts subheading. Easy to add EarlyBible there.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    There is no easy way to do so if you mean linking a verse in BW to the image of that verse in one of the papyrii displayed on that site.
    It's a nice site, and it's handy to have access to the papyrii, so I added it to my collection of external links in BW's ERMIE (the external resources manager). There should already be a Textual Criticism heading and a Manuscripts subheading. Easy to add EarlyBible there.
    I wonder about the longevity of that website. Although I don't have a problem with those images being out there, I know that some of the holders of the manuscripts consider images of the manuscript something that they control too. That's why not all the images are even available on CSNTM's website. And this website has very little documentation about the sources of the images. I do like the idea of this website though.

Based on a little bit of digging, my guess is that the Early Bible website is taking the images available from this website.
    Last edited by Michael Hanel; 05-17-2012 at 05:29 PM.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Evidently the creator of the Early Bible website is talking about his creation on the B-Greek forum.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

Default Legality

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    I wonder about the longevity of that website. Although I don't have a problem with those images being out there, I know that some of the holders of the manuscripts consider images of the manuscript something that they control too. That's why not all the images are even available on CSNTM's website. And this website has very little documentation about the sources of the images. I do like the idea of this website though.

Based on a little bit of digging, my guess is that the Early Bible website is taking the images available from this website.
    As I understand it, it is impossible to copyright a faithful reproduction of an ancient two-dimensional piece of artwork. This is not to say that museums and private collectors don't intend to control them, but simply that it is outside the scope of their legal rights to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by metamorphasi View Post
    As I understand it, it is impossible to copyright a faithful reproduction of an ancient two-dimensional piece of artwork. This is not to say that museums and private collectors don't intend to control them, but simply that it is outside the scope of their legal rights to do so.
    While I don't necessarily disagree with you, copyright holders and their lawyers may think otherwise. Digital copyright law is one giant gray area.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    While I don't necessarily disagree with you, copyright holders and their lawyers may think otherwise. Digital copyright law is one giant gray area.
    Amen to that, Michael.

Default Digitized ancient sources and copyrights

Quote Originally Posted by metamorphasi View Post
    ....it is impossible to copyright a faithful reproduction of an ancient two-dimensional piece of artwork.
    I think whoever digitized it could copyright the resulting image; however, anyone else with access to the ancient work could make their own digitized "photo" I think--and then copyright that if they wanted.

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)