Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feature Request . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    In the above examples you provided, you can do what you want with the sole exception that you will have to add one step, i.e., selecting a verse.

Assign one of your above combinations to Tab 1, assign the other to Tab 2, and so on. Then you merely click on whichever Tab has the combination you want, but AFAIK there is no provision for synchronizing Tabs, so if you switch verses in one Tab you'll have to navigate to that verse when you switch to the other.

Which brings up the possibility of a new feature request, i.e., the ability to synch Tabs.

If this could be done, your problem would be completely sovled and you could do exactly what you want with a single click on the Tab of your choice.
    Yes, if tabs could be synchronized, that would be perfect. As things stand now (as far as I am aware), selecting the verse in the second tab would be comparable to selecting a version from the command line.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

Both Dave (using Parallel Versions or New Browse Window) and Adelphos (using tabs) have made good suggestions.
    Another option, now that I see what you want to do, is to move around the tabs in the third/fourth window. Did you know that you can drag the tabs back/forth between the third/fourth window? Give it a try. In your case, then, you could have Greek/Hebrew in the 2nd=Browse pane, use the Browse TAB in the 3rd window for your English, and then pull both the Analysis tab and the Verse tab into the fourth window. Then the only extra clicking you would need to do is click on that Analysis or Verse tab in the fourth window to get access to the info you want.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    Both Dave (using Parallel Versions or New Browse Window) and Adelphos (using tabs) have made good suggestions.
    Another option, now that I see what you want to do, is to move around the tabs in the third/fourth window. Did you know that you can drag the tabs back/forth between the third/fourth window? Give it a try. In your case, then, you could have Greek/Hebrew in the 2nd=Browse pane, use the Browse TAB in the 3rd window for your English, and then pull both the Analysis tab and the Verse tab into the fourth window. Then the only extra clicking you would need to do is click on that Analysis or Verse tab in the fourth window to get access to the info you want.
    Thanks, Mark. No, I did not know you could do that. Again, not a bad workaround.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

Default With a little more effort ...

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    If you have enough room on your screen, and are willing to spend a few seconds each session setting things up, this might be of use:
    BW allows you to have free-standing "Word Analysis", "Resource Summary", "Browse", and "Cross-references" windows. (the first 3 can be invoked with the "Browse Window Options" button (just to the left of the footprints), the last from "View" on the main menu bar.
    This allows you to use the two default analysis panes (windows 3 & 4 in MGVH's notation) for any other two functions.
    So instead of having just one or two panes of supplementary info, you can have up to 6.

All neat suggestions. I do think the ability to synch tabs (that is, verse references when switching tabs), would be a neat feature. As of now, the closest you can come is to right-click and clear the tab and then that tab takes on all the characteristics of the current tab, including search and display versions. If you could simply synch the verses without changing the layout of the tabs themselves that would be a nice new feature, IMO.

I no longer want to make this feature request. Thanks to all the responses in this thread, I see that there are already multiple ways to do what I want with one click, and would not require setting additional preferences such as I mentioned. I'm now regularly getting what I wanted, and barely altered the way I work at all. I continue to learn new things I can do with BibleWorks.

Looking at the user's manual, I received the impression that it is actually possible to synchronize tabs. That would make it possible to move from, say, WTT to NAU with just one click, going from one tab to the next, and have those windows sync as you scroll up or down the text. Here's what the manual says:

"Synchronizing Browse Windows

You can synchronize multiple Browse Windows so that they can be scrolled together. To do this you must first open the browse windows that you want to synchronize. Then for each one Right Click on the Browse Window Header and select "Show Current Verse." This will add a current verse display to the Browse Window and also a synchronization check box. Only Browse Windows with the synchronization check box checked will be synchronized. To synchronize the windows all at once click on the button on the Main Window Button Bar. To scroll the Browse Windows in unison hold down the SHIFT key when you use the scroll bars to the right of the text display."

However, when I try this, nothing happens! Can anyone confirm that this doesn't work or that it's just me? I've perhaps missed something.

Donald Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France

You are correct, the syncing is not working. I opened two secondary browse windows and linked both of them, but they do not both change verses when I change the verse in one window. Only the active window changes. The other remains where it was.
    Mark Eddy