Thread: CHM Search workaround in BW8 or earlier

Lightbulb CHM Search workaround in BW8 or earlier

As some of you might have noticed, the modules which are chm files, are notoriously hard to search. In the left-hand box, you specify a search string, and all you get in the left-hand window is the generic book name. So in order to find what you seek, you must scroll forever in the right hand side of the chm.

Here are two workarounds I've found helpful. If you know of any others, I'd be very grateful to hear your solutions.

1. When in the right-hand window, right-click your mouse and select 'View Source'. The entire book will be called up into Notepad. Then, just use FIND in Notepad, to jump from occurrence-to-occurrence in your search string. Problem there, is you can't see what page you're on, and it's in HTML jargon, which can be disconcerting.

2. Buy a chm decompiler, which splits the chm into a bunch of standalone html files, in some new or the same directory (pick a new one, titled by the book name, i.e., 'Rodkinson' for the Talmud in BW). Then you can leapfrog from occurrence-to-occurrence as you read the html in your browser. Additionally, you can append the htmls all together into Word, and then BOOKMARK as well as FIND.

I just purchased eTextWizard from Guohua Soft. It does the decompiling job quickly, and will convert html to text, or turn all of that back into chm. I can't say it's any better than other products out there. Haven't yet tried the Word re-compilation, but I know it can be done with Word alone, by simple appending or copy and paste. It works because the same fonts for BW, are in your Windows fonts, so apply pan-computer.

Granted, this is some extra hassle to go through, but with #2 you can just decompile per chm you have, and then later only use the decompiled (or, recompiled-into-Word), text. The advantage is that now you can view BW and the decompiled text side-by-side.

I'm sure there is a way to turn the decompiled text into a user database, but I've not read up on how user databases are created in BW. And I'm not sure it's needed, if you recompile the text into a Word doc?

Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by brainout; 04-27-2012 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Guohua Soft paragraph
    'brainouty' on Youtube and , http://www.vimeo.com/brainout