Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 254

Thread: Master List Of BW Add-ons Created By Users

  1. #241
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    916

    Default

    Prof. Hoffman,
    The chapter divisions for the Psalms in VUO contain many errors. If you have the psalms divided in the correct place, you may want to send them to the programmers, for possible inclusion in VUO.
    I have worked up a verse map file for the psalms in VUO, which I can easily make into a separate .vmf file, depending on where your file divides the psalms.
    If you are making your own .vmf file, be sure that you compile your Latin Psalms as "OT only" not as "Custom". And be sure that you map the psalms to WTT and not to BGT or any other version. If you do those things, your .vmf file should work fine. If not, you can e-mail it to me, and I can take a look at it. But it may be a few weeks before I have the time.
    Mark Eddy
    Last edited by Mark Eddy; 07-23-2007 at 11:40 AM.

  2. #242

    Default Jerome's Latin Psalter based on the Hebrew for BibleWorks7

    Okay, I'll try this again...
    As Mark Eddy notes, the VUO (which for the Psalter contains Jerome's Latin based on the Hebrew) versification is confusing at best.
    So, I have created a "VPH" (VulgatePsalterHebrew) version that is only the Psalter, and I think the versification correctly matches the Vulgate.
    Unzip the file into your /databases directory, and it should work with no need to compile...
    BTW, I discovered (though this is old news to those who have worked more with this stuff) that you can put all sorts of interesting stuff in the BWW file. When you hover over the version label in the Browse window, that information appears in the Word Analysis tab. Very nice...

    (Jim and Michael: Feel free to post this file on the BibleWorks blog.)
    Last edited by MGVH; 10-09-2007 at 08:34 AM.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

  3. #243
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    613

    Talking Posted to the BW blog

    Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    (Jim and Michael: Feel free to post this file on the BibleWorks blog.)
    Done!

    Thanks for your work on this!
    Jim Darlack - Associate Director of Goddard Library /
    Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

    Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

  4. #244
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    9

    Default More Resource Requests

    A couple BW7 resource requests:

    Is there a word-for-word translation of the Luther Bible into English? This is something I'd like to see (my German is not so good...)

    Are any Dietrich Bonhoeffer resources available? Or are all of his writings still under copyright protection?

    SES

  5. #245
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    916

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SES View Post
    A couple BW7 resource requests:

    Is there a word-for-word translation of the Luther Bible into English?
    Nein.
    Quote Originally Posted by SES View Post
    This is something I'd like to see (my German is not so good...)?
    I doubt if there ever will be such a thing, unless some grad student needs a project that nobody has done before. I own some German Lutheran commentaries in translation, and instead of translating Luther's German into English, the translators always substituted their preferred English Bible translation, thus losing some of Luther's insights. But if you have some specific passages in mind, you might be able to contact a few of us who can handle German (off list) for a quick English rendering.
    Quote Originally Posted by SES View Post
    Are any Dietrich Bonhoeffer resources available? Or are all of his writings still under copyright protection?
    SES
    Bonhoeffer's writings are definitely still copyrighted, but that doesn't mean that the rights can't be purchased. But since Bonhoeffer didn't write exegetical works, it is unlikely that his books would be incorporated into BibleWorks. Brand X might include them, though.
    Mark Eddy

  6. #246
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    194

    Default Copyright for vocab files.

    I have noticed that on the oldinthenew site that there are several vocab and flash card modules for public use, many of which have come from particular books. Do you need copyright permission to distribute them and if so how does one go about getting that permission.

    Thanks,
    Chris.

  7. #247
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sansom48 View Post
    I have noticed that on the oldinthenew site that there are several vocab and flash card modules for public use, many of which have come from particular books. Do you need copyright permission to distribute them and if so how does one go about getting that permission.

    Thanks,
    Chris.
    In general I don't think one needs permission to post vocabulary from a particular book, but I don't have a legal precedent at hand when I say that Maybe someone with a weightier opinion might have something more helpful to say. Otherwise if you were to go about getting permission you would contact the publisher of the book. Google the publisher or the like to find an address.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

  8. #248
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    539

    Default Vocab file information

    Hi Michael and Sansom48,

    The content of the vocabulary files is already contained within BibleWorks. Unless a person changes the actual definitions of the words (which most folks probably will not do), the only thing added is a number to the chapter column identifying in which chapter of a given grammar where the word is found.

    While I am not a lawyer and my statement is not an official company position statement, I think a publisher would be hard pressed to say that the vocabulary files are a violation of any copyright.

    Glenn

  9. #249
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Weaver View Post
    Hi Michael and Sansom48,

    The content of the vocabulary files is already contained within BibleWorks. Unless a person changes the actual definitions of the words (which most folks probably will not do), the only thing added is a number to the chapter column identifying in which chapter of a given grammar where the word is found.

    While I am not a lawyer and my statement is not an official company position statement, I think a publisher would be hard pressed to say that the vocabulary files are a violation of any copyright.

    Glenn
    I think what he meant was whether a user can make vocab files based on lists found in books. For instance, can a user make vocab from the textbook Athenaze and distribute them without getting into trouble for that.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

  10. #250
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    194

    Default Vocabulary Flash Cards.

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    I think what he meant was whether a user can make vocab files based on lists found in books. For instance, can a user make vocab from the textbook Athenaze and distribute them without getting into trouble for that.

    This is correct, I am trying to make a flashcard module based on the vocabulary of "A Primer of Ecclesiastical Latin" by John F. Collins and wanted to know if there was anything legally I needed to do to be able to distribute this custom module.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •