Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Thread: Master List Of BW Add-ons Created By Users

Question Copyrights

Quote Originally Posted by JVerbruggen View Post
    The German bible society considers them an infringement on their copyright, but....
    I would be interested in how you know the German Bible Society considers them an infrigement.
    • If you're extrapolating from other things you think similar, that you know are an infringement, you might want to reconsider. As I said in yesterday's posting, from your Jonah example, I can't see how they could infringe.
    • If you actually contacted them, or they contacted you, with reference to specific examples/texts, then it's backt to being willing to contest it legally if you want. That's doubtful, unless you have good volunteer legal help.
    How do you know they consider them an infringement?

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

Default BHS explained critical apparatus

While they have not told me directly, I was told and shown an e-mail from them, that they consider it an infringment of their copyright. I thought I could distribute these files for personal use. If this is incorrect I will refrain from sharing them. Thanks for the advice.

Jan Verbruggen
    Western Seminary

Default "Personal use"

Quote Originally Posted by JVerbruggen View Post
    ...they consider it an infringment of their copyright. I thought I could distribute these files for personal use.
    But distributing them in a forum like this is not "for personal use." If you kept what you did for your own use, that would be personal use, and no one can stop you from doing anything like that. But once you distribute it in any way, whether for commercial benefit or even informally and without cost, it's no longer personal use.

If you really fear it's an infringement of their copyright, then you shouldn't distribute it--certainly not in any public way such as on-line. Maybe as part of a syllabus to your own students, but certainly not on this forum, as e-mail attachments to anyone asking for it, or on CDs you mail to someone, etc.

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

Default Lucianic (Antiochan) Greek text of historical books

Anyone interested in getting the Lucianic text of Joshua, Judges, 1-2 Samuel, 1-2 Kings, 1-2 Chronicles databased? All of the named except Joshua, Judges are in editions published by Natalio Fernandes Marcos and J. Busto Saiz under the title "El texto antioqueno de la biblia griega" from 1989-1996. The Lucianic text is dreadfully important, because where it differs from Vaticanus it often agrees with 4QSam-a and 4QSam-b and thus has the Old Greek text - so scholars like Cross and Ulrich assume.

Smile Public Domain Version available?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Fincke View Post
    Anyone interested in getting the Lucianic text of Joshua, Judges, 1-2 Samuel, 1-2 Kings, 1-2 Chronicles databased? All of the named except Joshua, Judges are in editions published by Natalio Fernandes Marcos and J. Busto Saiz under the title "El texto antioqueno de la biblia griega" from 1989-1996. The Lucianic text is dreadfully important, because where it differs from Vaticanus it often agrees with 4QSam-a and 4QSam-b and thus has the Old Greek text - so scholars like Cross and Ulrich assume.
    It think it would be great to have these texts available for BibleWorks (then again, I think that ANY text is great. But this one is particularly important, as you mentioned. The problem I have is with the date of publication. For this to be a viable option, BibleWorks would have to contact the publisher for permission to produce the database. If there happens to be a Public Domain version of the text, then it's a different story. Or if the publisher gives someone the right to provide the text for non-profit there may be a chance of a user creating the database.
    Jim Darlack - Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

Default database question

Anyone interested in creating a database with the Lucianic (Antiochan) Greek text (The Old Greek) of Joshua-2 Chronicles?
    Andrew Fincke

Default Lucianic (Antiochan) text

Dear Jim,
    Natalio Fernandez-Marcos does NOT have a copyright on the Luicianic text, since the critical edition of Codex Vaticanus - The Old Testment in Greek of Brooke and McLean, published form c. 1900 to c. 1933 - has all the variants in its apparatus. However - were you going to type in the text - it would be certainly convenient to use the Fernandez Marcos - Busto Saiz volumes rather than fumble through a very complicated apparatus before every key-stroke. Write to natalio@filol.csic.es, and ask him for permission. I'm sure he'd be happy to get the text on the web. He himself and his team are in the throws of finishing a concordance of the text. There are a few errors in his text of 1-2 Samuel bit not many.
    Andrew
    PS Sorry about the second query as to interest. I'm new to finding my way aroung this forum.

Wink Prapred to try

Quote Originally Posted by samuelholder View Post
    would there be a possibility that you could make a database for the chicago statement ...??
    Hi Samuel,
    If you can let me have the text of the Chicago Statement, I will see what I can do to put it on Bibleworks for you.

Regards,
    Willem Swanepoel

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    ...If you unzip these files into your "databases" directory under BibleWorks7 (rather than the "userdb" directory) and then compile it, it works better...
    Thanks for the files, Mark.

FYI, all you need to do is put the BWW file in your databases folder. The other two files can remain in your userdb folder.

At least on my machine it works fine that way.

Default You're welcome, but...

1) Thanks for the info on the bww file. I was trying to figure that out.
    2) I had created an accompanying VMF file in order to get the verses coordinated in Psalms (ie, the MT/LXX/KJV mismatch in chapter/verse), but I couldn't get it to work.
    3) Then I noticed that the VUO version actually is the same as the VUL EXCEPT, it states, that it uses Jerome's Latin based on the Hebrew in the Psalter. So, we actually did already have it in BW7. Therefore, I deleted my post.
    (I still like have a separate file, so if I figure out how to go the VMF to work, I may repost.)
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools