Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Version: M.R.James Biblical Antiquities of Philo (Pseudo-Philo)

Talking New Version: M.R.James Biblical Antiquities of Philo (Pseudo-Philo)

I've just posted a new version to the BibleWorks Blog: M.R.James' 1917 translation of The Biblical Antiquities of Philo (a.k.a. Pseudo-Philo or Liber Antiquitatum Biblicarum).

From the post:
    For a few versions now, BibleWorks has included R.H.Charles’ edited translation of Old Testament pseudepigraphal writings from vol. 2 of his 1913 Apocrypha and Pseudepigrapha of the Old Testament (APOT). This collection of pseudepigrapha related to the Old Testament has since been ‘replaced’ by James Charlesworth’s Old Testament Pseudepigrapha (OTP), which provides more modern translations based on new manuscript evidence. APOT still retains a great deal of usefulness - especially for its notes, etc. (as are available in the BibleWorks module). One text that is present in Charlesworth’s OTP, but not in Charles’ APOT, is the work commonly referred to as “Pseudo-Philo.” In 1917, a few years after the publication of Charles’ APOT, M.R.James translated this Latin text wrongly attributed to Philo of Alexandria. The Liber Antiquitatum Biblicarum or (Biblical Antiquities) is now often referred to as Pseudo-Philo, and is often abbreviated either Ps.-Philo or L.A.B. (or LAB). This translation made a previously overlooked piece of early Jewish literature available to the English speaking world.

LAB is a fascinating retelling of the biblical story from Genesis through the reign of King Saul. Manuscripts only exist in Latin, though it is believed by several scholars to originally have been composed in Hebrew. It is thought to predate the destruction of the temple (70 AD). Because of this early date, LAB is extremely significant for its representation of first century Jewish interpretation of Scripture.

This BibleWorks version provides the English translation of M.R.James’ 1917 Biblical Antiquities of Philo. The footnotes have been retained throughout (and will display in the Analysis Tab in BibleWorks. Cross references to the Old Testament have been omitted from this version for formatting reasons (though a CHM file of this text may be released in the near future that will retain OT cross references and include James’ introduction).

Download link and installation instructions available at the BibleWorks Blog.
    Jim Darlack - Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

Default Where

I downloaded Pseudo Philo (thanks), extracted it to Databases, checked off the Unblock, but don't know where to find it in BW.
    Resources?

ADDED: OK, now I know where it is. Browse Window.
    Last edited by dribex; 05-01-2012 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Solved my problem.

Thanks for making this available. But the pst.bww file you provided on the download is for the psalms targum, not for pseudo-philo. Your blog says that "proper attribution" must be retained. So I think we need a different .bww file? no?
    Mark Eddy

Hi Mark, I just re-upped the files: http://www.oldinthenew.org/bibleworks/version/psph.zip

Thanks for letting me know the wrong file was included.

Default Error Message: Number of books in custom booklist changeed

Hi Jim,

Thanks very much for these resources. After installing LAB and the new church fathers resources from your blog I get the following message *every* time I start Bibleworks: "The number of books inyour custom booklist has changed. You must restart BibleWorks to complete theinstallation of this book name file."

I'm pretty sure I followed the instructions correctly. Any suggestions?

dmiller

Hmm... I'm not sure what to tell you. Did you do anything to change the bookname files? If you delete the new databases do you get the same error? Have you run the latest updates?

Default Where Is Pseudo-Philo??

I downloaded the new files of Pseudo-Philo but I am still having difficulty finding the work in BW.
    I unblocked them but don't know where to look for them. As a separate resource? As part of Charles or James?

Can someone help?

Will

Hi there Will,

If you downloaded the files, unpacked them, and then copied them to your /BibleWorks 9/databases/ folder, then they will show up like any Bible version in BibleWorks. It will be listed under the English translations as "PSPH Pseudo-Philo (M.R.James Translation)."

If you type PSPH and hit <ENTER> in the Command Line, it will show up in the browse window.

Default Thanks

Thanks, Jim. I have been using BW for nearly 20 years now, and I still need a little guidance now and then!

No worries! We shouldn't stop learning until we stop breathing! (And even then, the learning's just beginning - depending on your eternal state, and which one of many personal eschatologies in circulation might be true. )