Hello all,

I'm wondering if someone can give some help on doing a search using the Louw-Nida domains. I noticed some time ago that possessive pronouns sometimes tend to be placed before body parts and their governing article. A couple of examples:

Jn 13.8: λέγει αὐτῷ Πέτρος οὐ μὴ νίψῃς μου τοὺς πόδας εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα

Jn 9.14: καὶ ἀνέῳξεν αὐτοῦ τοὺς ὀφθαλμούς

Mt 10.30: ὑμῶν δὲ καὶ αἱ τρίχες τῆς κεφαλῆς πᾶσαι ἠριθμημέναι εἰσίν.

Since I'm not sure whether this is a case of "fronting" for emphasis or simply a tendency related to habitual use, I've been wanting to check on the frequency of the phenomenon. I tried doing a search on the genitive personal pronoun + the Louw-Nida category "Body, body parts and products" that looks this: *@rpg* <8.1-77>. Obviously an AND search also turns up any gen. pers. pron. in the same verse, even those not connected to the body word. That means that, in the NT alone, there are over 1300 hits--lots of irrelevant data to wade through (I gave up on the OT, which turns up over 16000 hits!). However, if I try doing a proximity search by adding a range operator (i.e., "within 3 words" *@rpg* *3 <8.1-77>), I get the message "Range operators are not valid for AND OR searches".

I then tried doing the same search with the GSE. However, the GSE doesn't seem to be keyed to Louw-Nida. The <> signs come out as polytonic characters. So back to square one.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to refine the search parameters to obtain the results I'm looking for? The Louw-Nida Domain feature is a great tool, but I can't seem to hone down the research sufficiently for it to be helpful in this area. Thanks for any help that can be offered!

Donald Cobb
Aix-en-Provence, France