Thread: Searches with Louw-Nida Domains

Hybrid View

Default Searches with Louw-Nida Domains

Hello all,

I'm wondering if someone can give some help on doing a search using the Louw-Nida domains. I noticed some time ago that possessive pronouns sometimes tend to be placed before body parts and their governing article. A couple of examples:

Jn 13.8: λέγει αὐτῷ Πέτρος οὐ μὴ νίψῃς μου τοὺς πόδας εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα

Jn 9.14: καὶ ἀνέῳξεν αὐτοῦ τοὺς ὀφθαλμούς

Mt 10.30: ὑμῶν δὲ καὶ αἱ τρίχες τῆς κεφαλῆς πᾶσαι ἠριθμημέναι εἰσίν.

Since I'm not sure whether this is a case of "fronting" for emphasis or simply a tendency related to habitual use, I've been wanting to check on the frequency of the phenomenon. I tried doing a search on the genitive personal pronoun + the Louw-Nida category "Body, body parts and products" that looks this: *@rpg* <8.1-77>. Obviously an AND search also turns up any gen. pers. pron. in the same verse, even those not connected to the body word. That means that, in the NT alone, there are over 1300 hits--lots of irrelevant data to wade through (I gave up on the OT, which turns up over 16000 hits!). However, if I try doing a proximity search by adding a range operator (i.e., "within 3 words" *@rpg* *3 <8.1-77>), I get the message "Range operators are not valid for AND OR searches".

I then tried doing the same search with the GSE. However, the GSE doesn't seem to be keyed to Louw-Nida. The <> signs come out as polytonic characters. So back to square one.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to refine the search parameters to obtain the results I'm looking for? The Louw-Nida Domain feature is a great tool, but I can't seem to hone down the research sufficiently for it to be helpful in this area. Thanks for any help that can be offered!

Donald Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France

did you try PHRASE search ?
    in the command line, type: '*@rpg* *3 <8.1-77>
    then you should get 150+ hits in NT ....

-Andley.

Andley's suggestion is the easiest and most direct, I think.

Do note that the search can be conducted in the GSE. To get the Louw-Nida domains entered properly:
    • create the word box
    • double-click to open the dialog
    • make sure you are using a Greek morphological version (BGM or BNM...)
    • Click on "inclusion/exclusion list (IEL)"
    • Click on "More>>" Add Louw-Nida domain
    • Choose your domain and OK back
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    Andley's suggestion is the easiest and most direct, I think.

Do note that the search can be conducted in the GSE. To get the Louw-Nida domains entered properly:
    • create the word box
    • double-click to open the dialog
    • make sure you are using a Greek morphological version (BGM or BNM...)
    • Click on "inclusion/exclusion list (IEL)"
    • Click on "More>>" Add Louw-Nida domain
    • Choose your domain and OK back
    Andley and Mark,

Many thanks for your responses. I ended up trying something similar to Andley's suggestion even before he wrote but not using the *3 (and so excluding some relevant verses). I especially appreciate knowing that the Louw-Nida domains can be used for this kind of search in the GSE. I have been always been somewhat daunted by the seeming complexity of the GSE and so have tended to shy away from it. But it is useful once one gets the hang of it.

Incidentally, adding a !*@rpg* at the end of the string (and the same think can be done in the GSE) refines the search even more, as it excludes phrases that happen to have a genitive personal pronoun in front of the construction, but modifying a preceding noun. That hones the search down to 70 hits in the NT (not all are relevant)--a very manageable quantity.

Again, thank you for your input.

Donald Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France