Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hebrew non-infinitive verbs with בְּ prefix

Many thanks everyone for your very considered responses. Lots for me to look into here. I'm clearly in esteemed company!

Default An alternative view

In the late '70s, Daniel Grossberg did a dissertation at NYU on "Nominalization in Biblical Hebrew." I don't have a copy handy, but I remember speaking with him at an SBL session, and I'm pretty sure he documented numerous examples of verb clauses functioning nominally. I clearly remember that he treated Gen 1:1 in this way, with the finite clause "God created" in construct with ראשית. That would provide a framework for explaining forms such as בצר even as a finite verb.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Parunak View Post
    In the late '70s, Daniel Grossberg did a dissertation at NYU on "Nominalization in Biblical Hebrew." I don't have a copy handy, but I remember speaking with him at an SBL session, and I'm pretty sure he documented numerous examples of verb clauses functioning nominally. I clearly remember that he treated Gen 1:1 in this way, with the finite clause "God created" in construct with ראשית. That would provide a framework for explaining forms such as בצר even as a finite verb.

Nominalization in Biblical Hebrew can be found here(but not read) (link)
    and it looks like one can order it here (link)

Another one of Daniel Grossberg's works can be found here (link)

Last edited by bkMitchell; 05-10-2012 at 07:06 PM.
    Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/