Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Could not find the verse reference 'N' in the current search version" error

Default "Could not find the verse reference 'N' in the current search version" error

Fairly frequently when I go to the Command Line by clicking in it or pressing Esc, and enter a simple verse reference (such as "1") to change verses in the chapter currently being browsed, I get this error message:
    Could not find the verse reference "1" in the current search version.
    If you are trying to search for a specific word in the Bible text, precede the word with a period ('.'), like this:
    Would you like to see some examples?
    The same thing can happen when entering a chapter and verse reference. I have to either specify a complete reference, including book ("Psalm 15.1"), or manually reselect the version I'm using in order to go to specific chapters and/or verses. Usually this seems to happen after I've been doing something in the Analysis Window, perhaps on the Analysis tab or the Verse tab. Clicking in the Analysis tab with HALOT open in it, for instance, seems to cause it. Somehow the Command Line seems to lose awareness of what the actual current search version is.

This is a fairly minor annoyance, but when it happens 5 or 6 times in an hour, the dial begins to move off of minor. Does anyone else experience anything like this?
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Yes. I suppose I have always classified it as a minor annoyance, but it is an annoyance.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

A bit of a "me too" post this.

Yes, but I've not done the analysis that you have of when this happens. I agree it is something of an annoyance. If it were simple to fix, I'd welcome it.

Default Misery loves company!

Nice to know that for once I'm not the only one having a particular problem!
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Default Command line verse lookup shortcuts

This problem has (hopefully) been fixed and posted for both BW8 and BW9.
    Thanks,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    Thanks,
    Mike
    I have downloaded this update, and on initial testing, the problem seems to have been solved--thank you!
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

Thumbs up

A quick test confirms for me too that it is fixed. Thanks! If I'd known it could and would be fixed so quickly, I'd have complained much earlier!

PS. This is in BW 9.
    Last edited by DavidR; 04-14-2012 at 09:53 AM.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    Thanks,
    Mike
    Sorry, but not in BW8 - at least not with the examples I used.

Quote Originally Posted by jimofbentley View Post
    Jim, just out of curiosity, what was the exact string that you did? I wanted to at least confirm that it worked in BW9.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default Examples?

Quote Originally Posted by jimofbentley View Post
    It works on everything that I have tried. Can you provide an example? What version does the About Box say you are running?

Mike