View Poll Results: Does BibleWorks (or other software like it), help or hinder learning the language?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, strongly

4 28.57%
  • Yes, maybe

2 14.29%
  • No, strongly

0 0%
  • No, maybe

0 0%
  • Depends on the user, not the software

8 57.14%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BibleWorks Efficacy on learning the language: what's your story?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Thanks for the interesting feedback. As I said in the linked thread, I try to restrain myself from going immediately to the helps when using BW (just as I try to do when reading from a hard copy Greek NT or Hebrew Bible). Your brain is able to do a little more than you give it credit for (especially you, brainout ), and if you think for a moment you will often be able to remember what a word means or to identify the form or a particular syntactical idiosyncrasy without looking it up.
    Yeah: His Word is so flat GORGEOUS, it becomes easy to remember.
    'brainouty' on Youtube and , http://www.vimeo.com/brainout

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wert View Post
    If you mean Wallace's grammar, that is included in BW.
    I have no formal training in Biblical languages, let alone teaching, but one of BW's add-ons that I like a lot (despite its heavy price tag) is Exegetical Dictionary of the New Testament (Balz, Schneider 1990). I got it because I used TWOT a lot for the OT, and wanted something similar for the NT.
    Thank you! Yeah, TWOT is great; it focuses on etymology. I don't have Balz, will get it. Thank you. True, Wallace is in BW8 and now 9. That's what I meant. I didn't add the Wallace module, since I have both Mounce and Wallace in hardback.

Try also Big Kittel. It's hard for me to stomach the LOGOS interface, but Logos sells Big Kittel as a separate software module for about $200, which you can download. Hint: Install it to an external hard drive. You must be online to register, else you can't use the software, a real pain. Yet if you install to the external hard drive, then severally register on the computers you'll use, no rules are violated. Then just hook up the external drive, to one of the registered computers.
    Last edited by brainout; 04-05-2012 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Re Balz, grammar and style corrections

Default POLL QUESTION SHOULD READ 'HELP', leaving out 'or hinder'!

I can't see how to edit the poll. The question says 'help or hinder', but the vote 'answers' are based only on 'help'. So I want to delete 'or hinder' from the poll question, and don't see how to fix it. Sorry! So when you answer, think only of 'help', and vote based on that.

Default google books--kindle

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wert View Post
    If you mean Wallace's grammar, that is included in BW.
    I have no formal training in Biblical languages, let alone teaching, but one of BW's add-ons that I like a lot (despite its heavy price tag) is Exegetical Dictionary of the New Testament (Balz, Schneider 1990). I got it because I used TWOT a lot for the OT, and wanted something similar for the NT.
    I am not familiar with how valuable the EDNT is, but for those of us on a budget, it is available on Google books for $40.00. I do not want to undercut the work of BW, since I have used it since version 3.5, but hard copies and modules can sometimes be acquired in other formats (ebooks, kindle, etc.) for less money.

Regards,

Ron Snider

Default Kindle EDNT

Quote Originally Posted by ronsnider View Post
    I am not familiar with how valuable the EDNT is, but for those of us on a budget, it is available on Google books for $40.00. I do not want to undercut the work of BW, since I have used it since version 3.5, but hard copies and modules can sometimes be acquired in other formats (ebooks, kindle, etc.) for less money.

Regards,

Ron Snider
    OOOHHH, on Kindle? I'm a new Kindle addict. Exegetical Dictionary of the New Testament (Balz and Schneider) is not on Kindle, unfortunately; but I requested it be made on Kindle. Amazon sells it for $130 US, which is higher than BW, at $119. Kindle has a lot of exegetical books, including the basics like Mounce and Wallace, which are also in BW.

I did buy the Balz add-in for BibleWorks, but haven't yet unlocked the database, because suddenly my BW8 (after the last update patch) runs slower than molasses, when changing verse lookups. Delays of 45 seconds or more ensue, when I change, say, from Daniel 9 to Colossians, for example. So I'm going to uninstall BW8 and reinstall it without the update patch, on a new machine. (The modules work just fine.)

You don't have to uninstall the program. You can just run an older patch which worked. It will replace the newer patch. But be sure to let the tech. support know your problem, so the programmers can look into it. BW9 works just fine on the latest patch. But if you do install on a newer machine, you may wish to copy the latest working patch from your first computer and then, after installing BW from disc to the new computer, paste the patch into the BW patches "applied" folder on the new computer, because I don't think you can download an older patch directly from BW, if they have a newer patch of the same type. After adding the updates from BW, in the updater click on "show downloaded/hidden patches," so you can choose to install the older "Executable" update.
    Mark Eddy
    Last edited by Mark Eddy; 06-21-2012 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    You don't have to uninstall the program. You can just run an older patch which worked. It will replace the newer patch. But be sure to let the tech. support know your problem, so the programmers can look into it. BW9 works just fine on the latest patch. But if you do install on a newer machine, you may wish to copy the latest working patch from your first computer and then, after installing BW from disc to the new computer, paste the patch into the BW patches "applied" folder on the new computer, because I don't think you can download an older patch directly from BW, if they have a newer patch of the same type. After adding the updates from BW, in the updater click on "show downloaded/hidden patches," so you can choose to install the older "Executable" update.
    Mark Eddy
    I didn't save the patch separately, and I didn't turn on that thingy or learn the procedure for rolling back the update. So I have nothing to re-run. So I do have to uninstall.

Will probably just get BW9 separately (full version, not an upgrade), then use the BW8 unlock codes for my many modules. But not now. Waiting for my new machine to be built.

Thank you anyway!