Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Baseball begins!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    That was a brutal, brutal series for the Cardinals. They went the way of the Reds. Such a disappointment. But I think they'll still have a good team in years to come. Although their pitching is really aging.

In the World Series, I'll pick the Tigers to swat the Giants, but I don't have nearly as much interest in following the big show since my teams are now out.
    To see the Cardinals up 3-1, and then lose. That was a great surprise, and a dissapointment. I though for sure that they were going to make it.

And, as much as I hate to say it because I have never been a fan of the Giants, I think that they might just take it all (which would serve me right because of my prediction at the beginning of the season that they wouldn't even make the playoffs).

The five day lay-off for the Tigers can be both a blessing and a curse.

Blessing in that they are well rested, and any niggling injuries should now be dealt with.

Curse, in that the edge needed to go full steam from the start might not be there, not through any fault of their own, but simply because playing against an opponent is different to taking batting or fielding practice, or pitching a "simulated" game in the bullpen.

On an interesting side-note. Even though the Giants (18 times) and the Tigers (10 times) have appeared in 28 of the 107 World Series, this will be the first time that they have played each other.

Quote Originally Posted by jimofbentley View Post

Curse, in that the edge needed to go full steam from the start might not be there, not through any fault of their own, but simply because playing against an opponent is different to taking batting or fielding practice, or pitching a "simulated" game in the bullpen.

It's still not the same, but I thought I heard the Tigers flew up one of their winter ball teams in order to play them in exhibition, so that at least they could play a real game rather than the simulated variety. I don't see them losing a game with Verlander on the mound. That's two wins right there.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Wink Oops!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    I don't see them losing a game with Verlander on the mound. That's two wins right there.
    Perhaps Amos 7:14 explains this.

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

Quote Originally Posted by Dale A. Brueggemann View Post
    Perhaps Amos 7:14 explains this.
    Fortunately my vision was not a divine one. Shall I now say that based on the Giants' hitting, there's no way they can lose?

[a no-hitter will follow...]
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by jimofbentley View Post

The five day lay-off for the Tigers can be both a blessing and a curse.

Blessing in that they are well rested, and any niggling injuries should now be dealt with.

Well, it sure didn't turn out as a blessing.

Team Batting average: .159
    Team On Base Percentage: .243
    Team Slugging: .246
    Team OPS: .489

Young and Infante can be proud of their achievements, but I think that a lot of players will have a lot to prove next season.

But, well done to San Francisco, which proved me to be VERY wrong.