Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Baseball begins!

BibleWorks is definitely performance-enhancing for preachers, Scott! Uh oh, does that mean I shouldn't be using the software. By using the BibleWorks software, perhaps I open myself up to the charge that I am using performance-enhancing materials?

It certainly puts your Hall of Fame election in jeopardy.

Let's just see of my congregation even nominates me for Hall of Fame consideration first! That remains to be seen!

The other day I wrote:

“My only saving grace with regard to swimming is that the times I put up in the mid-seventies are still faster than the current women's world records for those events…”

Oops.

I was obviously looking at the wrong set of records when I said that. I looked at the progression of records in Wikipedia this morning, and confirmed this time that I actually had the correct records, and it turns out that the current records by the women have me creamed.

But to demonstrate how fast Spitz was, who was even four years before my best times, the women still have a way to go to beat his records that he set in Munich in 1972. They may do it in London, but it will take some extremely good swims.

Well, here we are at the All-Star break, so how were my guesses going?

AL East: Yankees. They started off a bit rough, but now have the best record in Baseball (52-33).

AL Central: Tigers. Third place, 3.5 games behind the White Sox.

AL West: Angels. Second place, 4 games in back of Texas. However, considering where they came from, they are doing much better, and could just knock Texas off.

NL East: Phillies. "The rest just don't seem strong enough to compete." Did I really say that!! Dead last, 14 games back. Not impossible, just improbable. Equally improbable (but isn't it nice!!) are the Nationals in first place. Washington hasn't had a pennant winner since the Senators in 1933.

NL Central: I said the Brewers or the Cardinals. Neither so far. Cincinnati - and especially first place Pittsburgh - have been real surprises. But, there are only 2.5 games between Pittsburgh and 3rd place St. Louis, so it is still close. Last year at this time, Pittsburgh were only 1 game back, and finished 24 games back.

NL West: My heart wanted to say the Dodgers but I went with Arizona. (I must admit to a personal bias against the Giants going back to when I was 10 years old - but I can't for the life of me figure out why). The Dodgers had a great start, but have hit a huge rough patch these past couple of weeks. Still, they are half a game in front of the Giants with Arizona only four back.

AL Wild Cards: I said the Red Sox and the Rangers, with the Rays doing it tough in the AL East. At the moment it is the Angels and Baltimore, with the Rays, Cleveland and Detroit being close.

NL Wild Cards: I said either Cards or Brewers (depending on who doesn't win the division) and Atlanta. At the moment it is Cincinnati and Atlanta, but the Mets, Cardinals and Giants are all close.

So, I've got one division leader out of six, and one wild card out of four (although we could also count Texas and the Angels - although I did have them in the wrong order). So, all up - 4 out of 10.

If I'm a ballplayer I'm batting .400 and making millions.

If I'm a bookie, then I'm broke.

It certainly has been a season of surprises. There are always a couple that come out of nowhere, but it seems that several whom everyone expected to finish in the cellar are in first or very close: The Pirates, the White Sox, the Nationals, and the Orioles have all far exceeded expectations. That pretty much makes it the rule rather than the exception, does it not?

Some of these will turn out to be pretenders by the time they've played 162 games . . . time will tell which ones.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

So, we have just a couple of weeks to go, how am I doing? Well, in a word - poorly!

AL East
    : Yankees. Yes, they are in first, but having blown a 10 game lead they are now in a daily battle with Baltimore!

AL Central: Tigers. They are fighting hard, but still trail Chicago. They are way behind in the Wild Card stakes.

AL West: Angels. They are falling further behind in the Wild Card, and lost all hope for a division title with the surging A's.

NL East: Phillies. In last place earlier in the season, but are coming back now, ony 3 1/2 games back in the Wild Card, probably left their run to late - but who knows.

NL Central: The Brewers or the Cardinals. I thought for sure Cincinnati would fade - but they have gone further ahead. St. Louis and Milwaukee are in a battle for the Wild Card.

NL West: Here is what I said then: "Arizona. I think that the Giants in 2010 was more 'all good things coming together at once', and probably won't happen again." Here is what I say now: "Does anyone have some humble pie for me to eat !"

AL Wild Cards: Red Sox - well, they might need to look to 2013 (and a new manager?) Rangers. They do have the division - but I never saw Oakland coming.

NL Wild Cards: Either Cards or Brewers or Atlanta - At least in this I have it right. Atlanta and St Louis, with Milwaukee battling hard.

I really don't follow the NL very closely, but here are a couple quick shots about your AL comments:

Quote Originally Posted by jimofbentley View Post

AL East
    : Yankees. Yes, they are in first, but having blown a 10 game lead they are now in a daily battle with Baltimore!
    In fairness, the Yankees have probably been the best team in the AL since May. Are they going to be like Ohio--round at both ends and high in the middle? If Baltimore could take the East, it would be one of the feel-good Cinderella stories of the season. Maybe the feel-good Cinderella story of the season, since Pittsburgh has fallen off the radar. EDIT: I probably shouldn't forget the Orioles' neighbors over in Washington.

AL Central: Tigers. They are fighting hard, but still trail Chicago. They are way behind in the Wild Card stakes.
    The Sox are giving the Tigers every chance to take that division. Both teams are playing some stinkball to close out the season. The Sox losing 5 in a row? The Tigers losing 2 out of 3 against the Twins?!?

AL West: Angels. They are falling further behind in the Wild Card, and lost all hope for a division title with the surging A's.
    It seems every year, the Angels are overrated and the Rangers underrated. The A's have been a surprise. And the Rangers and A's begin a four-game series tonight--this could be absolutely huge.
    Last edited by Lee; 09-24-2012 at 03:03 PM.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

And here we are on the last day of the season:

In the last week, the WhiteSox can't hang on and the Tigers take the AL Central.

The Rangers stumble out of first place, and the A's win their last six, including a three game sweep of the Rangers, to take the AL West.

If (God forbid) the BoSox beat the Yankees and Baltimore wins, then there is a tie in the AL East (both only in the second inning as I write this).

As Roy Hobbs said in The Natural, "I love this game"!

Top of 4th: Yankees 5 - Red Sox 1

Bottom of 4th: Rays 2 - O's 0

It all finished well:

Yankees 14-2
    Rays 4-1
    Last edited by jimofbentley; 10-03-2012 at 11:29 PM.