Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick Reader's Lexicon

Default Quick Reader's Lexicon

We just added a new feature primarily for inhouse use but it looks useful enough that I think I will make it public and give users a heads up here. With 9.0.008m you can very easily create a gloss dictionary for any set of words that you can search for in Greek and Hebrew. It works best for BNM and WTM because it uses the gloss lists based on those versions. It works like this:

1. Choose WTM for GNM/BNM for your search version
    2. Change to vowel point sensitive (Hebrew) or accent sensitive searching (Greek)
    3. Peform a wild card search and set search limits if you are just interested in a part of Scriptue
    4. Click on the Words tab
    5. Right click on the "wildcards expansion" list and choose export to editor

The program will open a new editor window and dump a gloss dictionary into it using the search parameters. So you can create a list of all verbs in John, for example, along with their glosses. The vocabulary card glosses are used so they can be edited in the flashcard module. The export will use the settings in the Setup | Fonts tab, so if you don't want unicode you have to change the settings there. Have fun. Pretty cool I think.

Remember that in accent/vowel sensitive mode you may have to press the insert key to enter some characters.

Mike
    Last edited by MBushell; 03-02-2012 at 09:21 PM.

Default crash

I just updated but I get a crash.

I usually use BW in the 4 pane mode, but with the new 9.0.8m update, BW crashes when I click the arrow in the red box to reduce it back to 3 panes.

I reverted to 9.0.8g and the problem went a way.

Quote Originally Posted by arggem View Post
    I just updated but I get a crash.

I usually use BW in the 4 pane mode, but with the new 9.0.8m update, BW crashes when I click the arrow in the red box to reduce it back to 3 panes.

I reverted to 9.0.8g and the problem went a way.
    Hmm, there must be something more going on. I toggle mine back and forth from 3 to 4 pane and I have no problems.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

I was going to try it again, but the 8m update doesn't appear in the updater. Good to know you didn't have a problem.

I was going to try it again, but the 8m update doesn't appear in the updater. Good to know you didn't have a problem.
    If you've already downloaded the 8m update, perhaps go to the Options menu in the updater and select Show downloaded\applied patches.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

Duh.... ok, reinstalled 8m...same problem. I'll need to reboot and investigate further. Stay tuned. Thanks!

Default Suggestions to make it work (better)

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    1. Choose WTM for GNM/BNM for your search version
    2. Change to vowel point sensitive (Hebrew) or accent sensitive searching (Greek)
    3. Peform a wild card search and set search limits if you are just interested in a part of Scriptue
    4. Click on the Words tab
    5. Right click on the "wildcards expansion" list and choose export to editor
    Mike
    Hi, Mike,
    I'm having some issues with this, so before you announce it publicly...
    1. I am using 8m, but I am having no crash issues...
    2. When I use WTM and search for .*, I get hits that show up in the Search pane, but no words show up in the Words/Wildcard expansion box. (Eg, if I limit search to Genesis, it finds all 1533 verses and highlights every word, but nothing appears in the Wildcard expansion box)
    3. If I use BNM or GNM (I've tried both) and search for .*, I get 0 hits...

As I just wrote that, I had another idea...
    Ok, the deal is, you cannot search for .*
    You need to search for .?*
    (I'm guessing that involves the way it treats the vowels/accents.)

So, it needs to be highlighted that you should search on < .?* > with no angle brackets

A couple other things...
    • You can also use the BGM, so this works for LXX books too.
    • To enter the * and the ?, you can either use the INSERT control, or instruct people to use the Code Insertion Buttons. (I always have my students enable this via the right click in the command box. I don't think it appears by default when BW is installed, but I think it should be the default.) With the code insertion buttons visible, it's easy to click on the * and the ?.
    • By default the list in the wildcard expansion list is organized by frequency. By right clicking in that box, one can choose to "Sort List Alphabetically." That may be a more helpful output.
    • It appears to work perfectly for Greek, but there are some quirks with the Hebrew. E.g., it generates entries (with vowels) but doesn't generate glosses for prepositions or conjunctions whose lexical entries have no vowel. There are a few other strange words or very irregular verbs with vowel issues for which it won't find the gloss.

So, very nice! I'm thinking that most people will use it when studying a passage or book. As such, it's a great way to generate a word list by frequency (if you want to memorize the most commonly used words) or alphabetically (if you want to use it as a quick reader's lexicon).
    Thanks!
    Last edited by MGVH; 03-03-2012 at 10:58 AM.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    Hi, Mike,
    I'm having some issues with this, so before you announce it publicly...
    1. I am using 8m, but I am having no crash issues...
    2. When I use WTM and search for .*, I get hits that show up in the Search pane, but no words show up in the Words/Wildcard expansion box. (Eg, if I limit search to Genesis, it finds all 1533 verses and highlights every word, but nothing appears in the Wildcard expansion box)
    3. If I use BNM or GNM (I've tried both) and search for .*, I get 0 hits...

As I just wrote that, I had another idea...
    Ok, the deal is, you cannot search for .*
    You need to search for .?*
    (I'm guessing that involves the way it treats the vowels/accents.)

I can't quite tell if this is the difference in what you're saying or not, Mark, but you do have to do accent/vowel sensitive searching in order to export with these quick glosses? Are you still having problems with accents/vowels? The first time I tried it, nothing happened either, but then when I switched to accent sensitive, it worked just fine.

On second thought, now that I am retesting it, I seem to be having problems, but it worked just fine last night. I'm going to blame arggem for what has gone wrong ;-)
    Last edited by Michael Hanel; 03-03-2012 at 11:44 AM.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    I'm going to blame arggem for what has gone wrong ;-)
    That's right christian of ya! But hey, the way today is going...it probably is my fault!

I rebooted, 8m still had problems, reverted again to 8d and now that had problems. So, I'm on 8d now.

The program seems to "work" in all respects (not that I've checked all respects), except for the crash upon clicking the red rectangle.

BTW, I'm on XP SP3, if that matters.

That's right christian of ya! But hey, the way today is going...it probably is my fault!

I rebooted, 8m still had problems, reverted again to 8d and now that had problems. So, I'm on 8d now.

The program seems to "work" in all respects (not that I've checked all respects), except for the crash upon clicking the red rectangle.

BTW, I'm on XP SP3, if that matters.
    Well I'm trying to think of what I've all done that's different from last night and the only thing I can think of is that I clicked on the red rectangle to make sure that worked fine, and it did. But last night I could do searches in BGM with accent and I didn't have to press the INSERT key to do the asterisk or anything. So something changed (or I changed something), but I don't know what it would have been.

--

Okay, so this is probably what I did. Last night the first time I searched BGM without accents, and it didn't populate the box in the Words tab. So then I clicked Accents in the status bar at the bottom and instead of re-typing in the command line, I just pressed the UP ARROW to recall my previous search <.*@v*> and voila, it works. So the reason I don't remember having to use the INSERT key was because I didn't. So maybe I can't blame arggem after all.
    Last edited by Michael Hanel; 03-03-2012 at 12:11 PM.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!