Thread: The Stats Tab and User-Defined Verse Ranges

Default The Stats Tab and User-Defined Verse Ranges

The Stats tab is very useful for seeing the distribution of a Hebrew word throughout the Old Testament. However, I'd like to have the Stats tab give me the total occurrences of a word in a user-defined corpus. For example, I'd like BibleWorks to tell me the total occurrences of a word in the Pentateuch. Is there a way to define a range of verses as "Pentateuch" that BibleWorks can display in the Stats tab along with other data?

Of course, I could simply add up the totals that BibleWorks produces for Genesis through Deuteronomy, but I'd like to skip this step. Knowing how to create a user-defined corpus will be useful for finding all occurrences of a word in other more-complicate corpora (such as Early, Standard, or Late Biblical Hebrew).

I have been unable to find an answer to this question on the forums or elsewhere in the Internet. If I've somehow missed it, I apologize. Thanks in advance for the help!

No answer here, I'm afraid, but great, great question!

Irving

Default Meet our good friend "Search Limits"

Quote Originally Posted by bjnoonan View Post
    The Stats tab is very useful for seeing the distribution of a Hebrew word throughout the Old Testament. However, I'd like to have the Stats tab give me the total occurrences of a word in a user-defined corpus. For example, I'd like BibleWorks to tell me the total occurrences of a word in the Pentateuch. Is there a way to define a range of verses as "Pentateuch" that BibleWorks can display in the Stats tab along with other data?
    If I understand your question correctly, the "Search Limits" feature is what you want to use. There is a predefined "Pent" search limit available, so you can just key l pent on the command line, do your search, and the Stats tab will display the total for the Pentateuch (as well as the details by book, chapter, or verse). To customize your search limit, from the menu bar Search / Set Search Limits. Yes, I know there are many other ways to get to the "Set Search Limits" screen; I don't feel up to trying to figure out all of the ways.
    And when you want to get rid of the search limits, just key l on the command line.

For a thorough discussion of Search Limits, see BW9 Help Section 60, Subsection "Setting Search Limits". BW9 Help Section 67, Subsection "Command Line Shortcuts" illustrates using the command line to set and unset limits.