Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Update problem

Default Crash Bug

That's what I get for posting new executables at night. Sorry about that.

The simple fix is to delete the restart01.txt file from your BibleWorks root folder and restart the program. But reverting to an older version should work as well.

I have posted a new executable. It will start by rebuilding a file that may have been corrupted by the last executable. Then all should be well.

In case you are curious, I inadvertently left some debug code in that write some debug info to my desktop. My desktop is different from yours, so the write failed and crashed. Not so smart of me.

Let us know if you have further problems. Mea cupla.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post

I have posted a new executable. It will start by rebuilding a file that may have been corrupted by the last executable. Then all should be well.

Mike
    Thanks Mike. I just updated again with no problem at all. I appreciate your quick response.

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    [...] I have posted a new executable. It will start by rebuilding a file that may have been corrupted by the last executable. Then all should be well [...]
    Now it works.
    Thank you very much!

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Weaver View Post
    I'm sorry that you experienced this crash bug. I have been able to reproduce it, and have sent a message to our programmers about it. I expect that a fix will be coming shortly.

Until a fix is posted, you can revert to an earlier executable by doing the following:

With BibleWorks closed, hold down your Shift key and click on the BibleWorks icon to open the program. This opens the Troubleshooting window. At the bottom, under Option 3, there is a button that says "Restore Previous Version (restore checkpoint)". Click this button.

In the BibleWorks Checkpoints window, scroll to the bottom of the checkpoints and select the last checkpoint. Now click the button that says "Restore the selected checkpoint". This causes BibleWorks to restart, using the previous executable file, ini file, and context files.

This should return you to the state of BibleWorks before the last update. If you continue to have problems, you can contact our Customer Support for further help, via the link in my signature line.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    I'm having the same problem with BW8 after updating. Takes a good 90 seconds for BW8 to load now, and then when I want to change to a different Bible book or even a different verse in the same book, I have to wait another 90 seconds before it changes. I deleted all my tabs, checkpoints, and had no other software running. Streamlined all the option flags. It takes longer if the current Favorite has many Bible versions in it, but it still takes a good 60 seconds.

Any way we can roll back the update, without checkpoints? Or is re-installing the only option (groan, I have a lot of modules). Thank you for your time!

Further testing on the lag: the lag is longer when changing between OT and NT, and when changing verses within some but not all, books. Lag in changing verses in Daniel, for example, is a good 90 seconds. None of this happened before the latest update. Hence the query on how one can roll the update back. If it matters, I'm using XP Home with all current service packs installed, on an Acer Aspire One with 1GB Ramm. Will be moving the program to another XP Prof machine when my computer guy finishes building it, and will reinstall BW8 on that machine, see if the lag disappears.
    Last edited by brainout; 04-27-2012 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Last paragraph added on diagnosing the lag problem
    'brainouty' on Youtube and , http://www.vimeo.com/brainout

I seem to have lost most of my hair. Do you think that that's related to the update? Can you do something about it?
    Dan Phillips
    Books:Web presence:
    tfo+[]l;w> hw"hy> tr:AT-ta, vArd>li Abb'l. !ykihe ar"z>[, yKi

s `jP'(v.miW qxo laer"f.yIB. dMel;l.W

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Phillips View Post
    I seem to have lost most of my hair. Do you think that that's related to the update? Can you do something about it?
    Yeah: get a better yarmulka.
    'brainouty' on Youtube and , http://www.vimeo.com/brainout