Thread: Font Size problem in Microsoft Word

Hybrid View

Default Font Size problem in Microsoft Word

Every time I import a passage from BW8 into Microsoft Word, the program also puts in a couple of extra spaces in Arial font (no problem) but with a font size of 16.

Because I always use a font size of 12 when I type, this means that I am constantly having to change the font size back from 16 to 12 before I continue.

I have checked the "Export Fonts" sizes under BW8's option tabs, and I am definately exporting Arial size 12 (in English). Although I am using a font size of 16 in both the search and browse windows, I cannot imagine that this is the cause.

The ony size 16 font I use is the SBL Hebrew, but why should that affect the English font size?

Has someone else had this problem, and what did you do to fix it?

I'm using BW9, but is should be the same w/ BW8.
    Your options window should look something like this:
    Name:  bwfont.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  82.5 KB
    (You might try temporarily changing your English font to something other than Arial just to make sure it's picking up that part of the font options.)
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

I have been able to figure out "what" is causing it, but I still cannot figure out "why".

I set all of the fonts (Search Window; Browse Window; Export) to 12, and then began to change the Search and Browse windows font sizes to see where the problem kicked in.

For some reason, it is when I changed the Browse Window font size that the problem occurred when exporting to Word.

OK, I looked a bit more.

Remember when I said:

Quote Originally Posted by jimofbentley View Post
    Although I am using a font size of 16 in both the search and browse windows, I cannot imagine that this is the cause.

Well, it looks like I was wrong. The Help File says:

"When you export text to the Clipboard or send it to the printer, the same fonts and point sizes as are used in the Browse Window will be used. They will not be changed for the exported text. This is not always desirable. Fonts which look good on the screen do not always look as good in print. This is the reason an option was implemented to force font conversions to the fonts used in the target medium.
    By default the Export Fonts are the same as the Browse Window fonts. Unless you change the font selections with the "Export Fonts" option selected, exported text will use the same fonts as are used for display purposes."

So, it appears that, even though I have changed fonts and font sizes in the Export Font section, the Browse Window font size is overriding this for the final two "spaces" that are inserted - which means that all of the typing I do after importing text is at this larger font size.

My options then are:

1) live with it (as I have been until today when I got fed up with it)
    2) use a smaller font size in my Browse Window - although I prefer the larger size so that I can read it more easily.
    3) write to Bibleworks and mention it to them (or hope that they are reading this
    Last edited by jimofbentley; 02-22-2012 at 11:36 PM.

Maybe they fixed things in BW9, because it is behaving properly for me. (I switched my browse font to 16 but left my export font at 12.) Whether I dragged / dropped the text into MS Word or used copy/paste, it correctly brought the text in at 12 point.

So, you might try any one of the following:
    • drag/drop
    • Use CTRL-SHIFT-B in your word processor to bring up the popup copy dialog. There are some parameters to set, but that might do it.
    • upgrade to BW9!
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    So, you might try any one of the following:
    drag/drop
    This works fine - no problems with font size.

Use CTRL-SHIFT-B in your word processor to bring up the popup copy dialog.
    I almost always use CTRL-SHIFT-B, and in experimenting, this appears to be where the problem is.

upgrade to BW9!

As of now, I don't need the new features, although if the Aussie $ stays as high as it has been against the US, it certainly will make it less expensive than when I bought BW8.

Well, it seems like the nice people at BibleWorks were monitoring this thread, for as of the latest update, the problem is now gone.

Many thanks.

Of course, if it wasn't them, then maybe it was the nice people at Microsoft - but, either way:

Many thanks!